Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bow Tucks Makers >
  • Bow Tucks Makers

• Bow Tucks Makers

Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 AM

I can relate to people wanting free stuff. I have made stuff for sale at craft shows and what-not, and all I get are compliments. Don't give me a compliment, give me your cash! I don't make quilts for sale, but I do take orders and make them that way. But I won't make inventory anymore, and right now I'm working on Christmas gifts for my family, so I'm not doing anything for anyone. That little n-o word is one I've learned how to use.
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 AM

I do quilted jackets. When someone asks me for a jacket or wants one for a friend, I simply tell them that I sell them for $100. However, if it is a close friend and my friend asks me for one for herself, I sell them for $60. I give people a jacket as a gift for free when inspired to do so.

I no longer do special orders. Too much hassle I discovered. Further, when at a show, I will only hold a jacket for one hour.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't need to count every penny, but at the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of. So I can be generous with my gifts.
    Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM

If you're going to give your handmades away, why not do it for Breast Cancer?
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM

I would tell them "I would be happy to make one/them for you, fabric and other supplies will cost $xx and labour will be $yy for a total of $zz. What kind of colours/theme do you have in mind?" If they really want it, they'll pay. And if they don't, no skin off your back.

That is assuming that you *would* be happy to make them for sale...if not, I'd just tell them - like my father in law does about his BEAUTIFUL wood working - "This is my *hobby*. I make things for my family and friends because I like and want to. I cannot afford to do it for free for every 'friend of a friend'. I do not want to be paid for it or for this to become a job, I have one already."
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM

check out the prices on the web for production made quilted bags they are not cheap.
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Sounds like a $$$ maker to me. Charge them for supplies and something for labor. A lot of people pay a lot of $$ in the store for bags...Why not you getting something for them?
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Sounds like a $$$ maker to me. Charge them for supplies and something for labor. A lot of people pay a lot of $$ in the store for bags...Why not you getting something for them?
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Roxanne
    I'm not sure from reading your post whether or not the person asking was asking you to make them for free. If you don't mind making them (for a charge)
    I'd just tell them to give you $_____.00 and you'd be happy to.

I did some extensive genealogy research a couple of years ago and my sister in law told one of her friends about it. The friend asked if I would do one line of her family for her. I told her yes, I'd be happy to if she would send me a check for $100.00 to get started. I never got the check----I never did the work!

Easy peasy.
    Roxanne
    When she asked me to make another one so she could give it to a friend, I told her how much they cost to make. She just looked at me and said "Well I would really like to give my friend one." Not one word about paying. I think after reading these posts if anyone asks for one I'll tell them it will be between $50.00-$60.00 depending on the fabric and quilting. I can just see the orders rolling in :roll: Not!
    Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Everyone wants a bag of some kind. I only make them for the people that I want to give something special to. The running joke at school is, "How good of a friend do you have to be to get a Debbie bag?" I just smile and walk away. Right now I'm making an Ohio State book bag for one of my fellow teachers that has done so much for me and my children. It makes the sewing fun, not a chore.
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:02 PM

I have no clue what this is about. what is a bow tucks???? Jan

never mind, I just looked back (Duh)and saw that they are purses!