Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bow Tucks Makers >
  • Bow Tucks Makers

• Bow Tucks Makers

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
    For the people who have made these and "given them away". Are the people who received them asking you to make them another one so they can give them to someone else as a gift. I made a couple for 2 people I work with because we help each other out alot. One lady takes hers home and her daughter decides she wants 2. A large and small and the Mother wants another one for herself and one more for a friend. I made one for my Mother and she carries it everywhere. People who see it throw hints to her that they would like one also. No one offers to pay for it. I do tell them how much they cost to make, but it's like talking to the wall. The lady with the daughter has the fabric she wants them made out of but no pellon. I can't get the pellon where I live. Nearest Joanns is 65 miles away or I have to buy on-line. I don't mind making them and giving them away to who I want but thats my choice. I think I'm just going to have to tell people I no longer make them. Seems everyone wants something for nothing.

Rant done :lol:
    Never ever waste your time hinting. Just say you've had such great success with them you are now making them for $xx.xx plus materials. Hinting will make you lose your mind. People who what something for nothing are not subtle enough to take a hint!
    Good luck and whatever you do, have fun. Don't the bullys get to you.
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Ooooh! Dingle! Sounds (as usual) like this person wants the "glory" for giving a SUPER, wonderful gift at your expense, and how rude are you to refuse or want $$! Just because we truly love what we do, does not mean we have to give our work away (unless WE choose to do so). When the word gets around, you will do fine-people who appreciate good work (hand made) will pay for it!
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 PM

So far I have used the pellon. But maybe you could make it
    out of batting. Although I don't know how well it will hold
    up. Maybe someone else has used it in theirs.
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
    I make all kinds of bags/totes and have given them to friends. However, if one of their friends/relatives wants me to make one I will charge between $45– $100 depending on the size/style/specialty fabric they want me to use. (I do not charge extra for magnetic snaps, bottom inserts or feet I use on bottom of bag.) I generally provide the fabric, however, I do ask if they have a color choice and preference for print (floral, geometric, novelty, etc.). Beyond that, if they start making specific requests, I let them know I charge extra for specialty fabric (such as Japanese handwoven/hand-dyed fabric that runs $20/yard), embellishments, leather handles, and designer glass buttons.

Remember, if you don't value your product/work, no one else will.
    I like that last sentence!
    Recently I was asked by one of my my health professionals to shorten a dress her daughter was wearing in a wedding. It was a rush order, because the dress hadn't arrived as of a week before the wedding. Satin outer layer, crinoline and silky lining. I debated about how much to charge. Then I realized when I go to the office for health services, I am not offered a discount price! The dad paid me, and commented "well that's reasonable." Guess I should have asked more!!! Oh, and I delivered it (my choice).
    Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM

At my age, I tell them I'm sorry but I'm retired and only sew for myself and my family now.
    Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM

A friend of mine I sold one to her for $40.00. But I told her that if someone she knew wanted one, they would have to
    buy the fabric and still pay $40.00. I probably didn't charge enough.
    Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM

You can get the pattern at fconecting threads for 1 place.
    Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM

I have made several very personal pattern purses, and only give them to "special" gals. when asked if I'd make one for someone else I reply, you would not believe how much I charge for a purse like that!!! If they are clod enough to ask, I set the price high,and that discourages most of the free loaders. I do love sewing purses, and make many many for gifts, but seems to be a "chore" when I have to make them for a cheap skate.........LOL so I just say NO...
    Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM
    e4

Never give a separate price for materials and labor! It invites people to say they will buy their own materials/supplies and go get the cheapest they can find that you then have to work with. Only once did I agree to make some bridesmaids dresses for a "friend" at cost + labor. I was very specific the kinds of fabrics I worked on and said I would go help pick out the fabric. The next day I was brought the cheapest, worst polyester satin you have ever seen. Never, ever again - it was miserable to sew on.
    I only sew for pleasure now, but my advice is give one price for the purse, quilt, or whatever. No store I know of tells you what they had to pay and then separately tells you the cost of their labor/profit. Why would you quote 2 prices unless it was some unique circumstance?
    Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Craftygirl
    Please where do I go on line to buy a bow tuck pattern. I haven't been able to find one over here.
    I bought mine from ConnectingThreads.com....