Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bow Tucks Makers >
  • Bow Tucks Makers

• Bow Tucks Makers

Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 AM

My niece was always asking her mother to make the burp diapers for her many friends and then just stopped by to pick them up. Finally my sister said she would make them but her daughter had to be there and visit while she made them. The orders sharply reduced ! I do that sometime if I feel like the person isn't a close friend of my daughter. It serves 2 purposes,a visit and they see how much trouble it is to do. Most of these people have no idea of the work involved in one of those bags.
    Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 AM

Quilters, don't discount your efforts and talent. Value yourself....I happened on a Suze Orman presentation during fundraising week on PBS and that was the point she was making....Don't discount yourself...if you don't value your time etc. no one else will. I will give a piece away to a friend before I sell it for less than I think it is worth.
    One old guy at work once said to me "I think I will let you crochet a lace table cover for me." He meant that I should be honored to do it for free! I couldn't believe the gall of it. Just politely said that I don't do it for others.
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 AM

For those of you still wondering exactly what the Bow Tucks bag looks like, go to the top of the page, click on Search, type in Bow Tucks, and have fun looking at the different ones made by our friends on board here.
    You can do a Google search for the pattern. There is a larger bag and a smaller bag.
    Be very careful ordering the pattern off of e-bay. There
    are a few people making copies and selling them for about the same price. Theses folks are illegally selling them. You are not allowed by copyright laws to copy and sell the pattern.
    Bet you can't make just one :)
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 AM

[

When she asked me to make another one so she could give it to a friend, I told her how much they cost to make. She just looked at me and said "Well I would really like to give my friend one." Not one word about paying. I think after reading these posts if anyone asks for one I'll tell them it will be between $50.00-$60.00 depending on the fabric and quilting. I can just see the orders rolling in :roll: Not![/quote]

You might be surprised. You might get more orders than you can reasonably handle.

:)
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 PM

Good for you tweetee, that's a great way to tell people and it is the truth money doesnt grow on tree's.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Most of us are too busy to quilt for oters unless we do it for a business or for the extra spending money. Don't be afraid to say, you are toobusy.
    Old 10-14-2010, 02:07 AM

I remember a story about a young female lawyer who graduated in the early 60's. One of the senior lawyers who interviewed her for a position asked her if she could type (back then a lot of women lawyers were used as legal secretaries and treated accordingly). She reportedly replied "Yes, I type, and I also sleep with men -- I do neither for money."

We should tell everyone we quilt gifts for friends that we plan to give gifts, if anyone else wants a gift they need to pay for the item exactly as if they were obtaining the gift from a store. If they can't be bothered to spend money on a gift then they shouldn't be giving a gift.
    Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM

what is a Bow Tuck purse and where does one get the pattern. Looks very interesting. Sylvia
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 PM

I totally agree with this. If they want it bad enough, they will pay otherwise, tell them sorry, but you cannot afford to do it for free.
    Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Hi Dingle, I've seen so much discussion on these bags "Bow Tucks" how are they made, where can I get instructions? they must be beautiful since there is so much interest. Thanks for any info. peterparley