Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bow Tucks Makers >
  • Bow Tucks Makers

• Bow Tucks Makers

Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Hi Dingle, I've seen so much discussion on these bags "Bow Tucks" how are they made, where can I get instructions? they must be beautiful since there is so much interest. Thanks for any info. peterparley
    Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Beware:
    "Today's favor becomes tomorrow's obligation"...
    Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

I would set a good price for each one and they don't want to pay for it then I would say no, sorry. I would not do it for nothing, as I have found out in the past it is rarely appreciated. People do not understand the time and caring, not to mention the expense of the material and supplies, that goes into this type of work.
    Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM

I know some where this has already been dicussed. But I have a question about how much to charge for a bow tucks. My first one I sold to a friend for $40.00. I had all of the fabric and just bought the pellon and the snap. Then I told her if anyone she knew would want one for them to buy the fabric and I would charge $40.00. Well she got to the restrauant last night before we did and a lady that worked there asked her about it. She told her what I had said. But when we were done eating I went over and talked to her. I told her that it would be $55.00 and for her to buy the fabric. Well she wanted the same fabric that I used for my friend, the butterfly (metallic/glittery) fabric from walmart which I didn't think I would even find any more. Anyway I still knew I had some and found out this morning I didn't have quite enough. Today went to the only walmart that is has bolts left and with my husbands good vison found the same fabric that I had bought.(I think it was 2 years ago). Any way, back to my question. I bought a little more fabric.All of the purse is with the butteryfly except the lining is the only other fabric I need to buy and the snap now. I don't have to mail it and I think she will be coming here to pick it up or maybe meet where she works which isn't far. And also if someone was to buy their own fabric would $55.00 still be too little to charge or do I need to charge more. By the way for this one I am going to use cotton batting and I hope it holds up as well as the pellon does. I have plenty of cotton batting.
    Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Tell her where to buy the pattern and you'll help with the FIRST one she makes and then she can make all she wants!
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM

This is so true, your time and talent is worth it. I know it take right around 8 hours for me to do a bag., I sew the handles in at least 5 times before I sew the line to the bag and then sew around the top. My handles will never come out.

I love making these bags and everyone loves them. I have sold a few., but if they want them that bad they will pay the price.

I have one price if I use my fabric and time, as well as another price if they buy the fabric and I make it up.
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

I just gave two to girls at work and each one asked "do want some money for it?" I didn't but I was glad they offered.
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Amen to that one. Everyone wants something for ZIP., I have made many things for family and friends. There are some that think you just should do all of this for free. When they get picky, I send them to search out there own fabric, when they see the prices, they don't like it. People think you do things there way, well, they can go buy the ready made junk that they are selling out there that comes from China, and will fall apart in a month.

I have seen some of these bags made so cheaply and they are selling them for $40.00 or more. What we make has quality
    and the price should be more.
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Originally Posted by lindyline
    If you really don't want to make it, or risk offending, tell them it's under copyright, which the pattern is, and you are unable to make them to sell.
    -----------------------------
    I agree with this. And it just might shock the heck out of them if they had no intention of paying for it in the first place, because you GAVE one away so of course you would want to make them one and one for THEIR friends.

Yeah, right. Like one other clever lady just said, "show me the money"
    I'm with Susie. I don't have any problem telling people 'no'. Just plain no, I don't have time. I don't fell any obligation to explain myself further or come up with a better excuse.

I don't agree with this at all. I would just tell these freeloaders "No, I can't."
    I think it's pretty offensive to have people think you have nothing to do but make things for other people. I wouldn't mind offending them back one bit!
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM

I have had the same thing happen when I donate quilts. I have had ladies ask if they could have one to give as a gift. At first I did not know what to say but finally came up with a price and I have had some purchase them but others have made comments that they can get one at "W" for a lot less. It used to hurt my feelings but I do not give it a second thought any longer. Good Luck with your decision.