Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • boy do I need help! >
  • boy do I need help!

• boy do I need help!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM

I've been asked to make a floor quilt for a friend's dog. She is leaving the whole choice of fabric etc to me, so I decided to go with recycled blue jean blocks with appliqued bones on the front and now I think I might just use a piece of fleece for the back. Thanks for all the ideas.
    Old 08-04-2012, 01:01 PM
    Power Poster

This is not a quilt but a while back there was a link for a dog bed made from fleece. It was like a giant pillow that you made by knotting fleece ties around the round shape. You then put soft fiberfill in the middle and it looked really comfortable. If you can find the post on QB it was awesome.
    Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM

For dog quilts/beds, it's best to use more generous seams (at least 1/2")! I also top-stitch those seams, to make them extra strong.
    Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo
    I make quilts for dog shelters. Use everything ... upholstery fabric, denim, heavy cotton, cordoroy, polyester. I make them using 8" - 12" squares, half triangles, etc. and practice blocks. Don't put batting in them but a couple had old blankets used as batting. Just as long as they are durable. I made one using up some fleece I had, the dogs loved laying their head on the fleece. As far as size - just so they fit in the kennels, so varied sizes. They quilts are washed frequently so they must be durable and well - stitched.
    I make them for my vet's office as well as for one of the local no-kill shelters. And, I make them just as was quoted here, unless one of the places has a special need. They're fun to make!
    Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Our cat Stella has 3 .... I place them in the area I want her to nap...makes cat hair clean up easy and she loves to sleep on them approx 20" x 16"

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    I've made a couple quilts for the cats, I just make them smaller. They've been washed plenty of times too!
    Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    yep, ladies you came through again, the way I understand, they want a quilt for the doggie to lay on, and its a small dog,
    So I don't have to do a lot of fancy stitching like we do our quilts then? great I will get on it. oh and I do have some poliester that I really need to do something with and it is dark. again thanks ladies.
    I made a quilt to cover our dog with. In the winter she loves to be covered up with it. She even gets so under it that you wonder how she can even breathe. In the summer I lay it on the floor and it seems to be cooler for her than laying on the carpet. No complaints from Miss Bess!!!!!!! Edie
    Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 AM
    Swap Hosts

My dogs take over almost every quilt I make, so they now have their own.
    If you're going to make them to sew, you might have better luck with cat quilts. They're smaller -- and cat people are -- well, if they're anything like my aunt -- cat people will buy anything!
    Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 AM

I have made several quilts for four legged friends. I make them just like a regular quilt, but check out what the dog owner would like as far as color and design. It needs to fit the decor! My chihuahua even has his own queen-sized quilt (a real quilt that is queen-sized!) My quilts are all cotton (including the batting) and usually a little extra heavily quilted. I just make a normal sized block and reduce the size of the quilt to fit the dog. Some have been crib sized for the large dogs and some have been about 40 by 40 to fit small dogs. Small dogs like a little bit larger quilt, so they can burrow in!
    Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    I was talking to someone about doll quilts and other things we make here on the board, well the person asked about dog quilts, so could you direct me to where to go , do I make them like doll quilts? so please help, this also may be a way for me to pay a bill as well. so any help appreciated.
    I made a bunch of dog quilts out of old darker colored wide whale corduroys and strong fabrics from the 70's and 80's -- just trying to use up stuff. I cut up an shredded store bought quilt and used that for stuffing. Made them rectangular shaped, right side of fabric to right side, stitched around the edges and turned right side out. I quilted on through all layers just straight lines and they did make nice pet beds. Unfortunately, haven't found anyone to buy them so I guess I'll donate them to the local SPCA. I'm sure they can use them.
    Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    My dogs take over almost every quilt I make, so they now have their own.
    If you're going to make them to sew, you might have better luck with cat quilts. They're smaller -- and cat people are -- well, if they're anything like my aunt -- cat people will buy anything!
    Hey, I resemble your remark about cat people buying anything. My cats think it's a great idea!! I've actually made two cat quilts for my mom's cat and both of them are happy with them. I just used up old flannel and flecce for the middle and then quilted some lines through it for stabilizing the fleece. This would work for a dog quilt too.