Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~ >
  • Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~

• Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~

Old 03-16-2014, 05:44 AM

I believe that you have realized that the many suggestions to open the binding, add a new backing, rebind and tie is the way to go. I can't imagine trying to remove "all" of the black binding so my suggestion would be (and I am no quilting expert) to snip off the "already" ripped pieces, then follow the steps above. Because of the problem being with the "black", I would suggest that you tie from the back and at least a "hand" apart. Hopefully, this will stabilize the black fabric, which will no longer be compromised by use. There are many YouTube videos that show how to tie. I believe it is a double stitch process. The closer you tie the better. Good luck with hugs.
    Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 AM

If the binding is handsewn on the back could you pick that handstitching out, put on a new backing, then resew the binding down? Sorry this happened. I use alot of black and amhoping I don't have the same issue after the recipients wash it!
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM

You have a gazillion hugs coming your way, if that helps then know that we all wish you success with whatever you decide to do. If I was faced with this I would cut away the binding, put on a new backing, STD, and then rebind it. Black fabrics are notoriously known for bleeding, shrinking and generally being a royal pain; however they also lend themselves to making such statements. Quilting on your machine isn't really as bad as you might think, yes it is difficult working with all that fabric; but if you take it slow you can do it. My first quilt was a king, it was a QAYG; but still had to be joined and I thought I go bonkers working with that size. Whatever you decide I wish you the very best, the impetus for doing all this is that your brother will cherish it for years.
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 AM

I think I would go with the unsew binding and replace back and tack it to the front suggestions. Just wanted to add that it is a really nice quilt, so sorry this happened.
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:14 AM

That's what I thought of too. You could run a new sewing line over the original one holding the binding to the front and then just re-do the hand-stitching on the back. If the new backing makes the binding a bit "short", then just machine stitch a flange on it before you hand-sew the back.

Lovely quilt. Just some well-placed SID around some of the braid sections should hold the new backing in place.

Originally Posted by Barbpr
    If the binding is handsewn on the back could you pick that handstitching out, put on a new backing, then resew the binding down? Sorry this happened. I use alot of black and amhoping I don't have the same issue after the recipients wash it!
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM

If you choose to cover the old fabric with new, be sure BEFORE you buy new backing that the old fabric doesnt show though especially since it is a very dark color. I also vote for machine tacking the new backing. It is a very simple and fast process all done by the machine. This can all be done from the front side, placing your tacks on the original quilt lines so as not to interfere with the pattern.

Last edited by Buckeye Rose; 03-16-2014 at 07:23 AM.
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Is this fabric only in the backing?? Is the front of the quilt in good shape? If so you can put a second back on it, quilt it very lightly just to hold it together and rebind. Leave the "bad" on, don't un-sew it, just add the new back.
    This was my first thought!
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

If this lady hand sews her bindings with tiny stitchrs, that will also be a job.
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 AM

I like ragquilter's idea, sounds doable to me. Maybe just a plain straight stitch though.
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 AM

Reback it, I had to put a new back on a king size quilt for a grand daughter, her's was damaged when their Apartment bedroom ceiling collapsed from water (hot) breaking this winter . I just set it up on my Longarm and quilted over all of it again. Not using the same quilting pattern as before, used the new backing as a binding. Good luck