Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~ >
  • Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~

• Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~

Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM

Everyone has given you good advice. They have already suggested what I was going to say. Good luck!

}}}HUGS{{{
    Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 AM
    Power Poster

This is a very interesting thread... especially the part about the acids in the black dyes. That is probably the culprit.

THANK GOD this only happened on the back! That's relatively easy to remedy... I'd do as Jim's Gem suggested and add another back. I would NOT remove binding, just butt it up to it and sew down. You have gotten lots of good suggestions. Hope you are feeling better about your quilt.
    Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Is this fabric only in the backing?? Is the front of the quilt in good shape? If so you can put a second back on it, quilt it very lightly just to hold it together and rebind. Leave the "bad" on, don't un-sew it, just add the new back.

Sounds like a great solution. And I'm glad to know that's a "fix" if I ever have need. I'm very sympathetic to your angst over this, and can only imagine how angry and/or upset you must be, especially considering that it was made especially and lovingly for your veteran brother. I hope it can be repaired in a way that is satisfactory to you!
    Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM
    Power Poster

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I had a similar situation once, but with some black fabric used on the front of the very first quilt I ever sold. Fortunately, he was understanding, and since it was a Roman stripe quilt, I cut triangles slightly larger than the triangular piece, appliqued it down by hand, then quilted new lines to match those on the quilt. I just think you got a bad piece of fabric, like I did, either something chemical or sunlight damage I'll never know, but fortunately I was able to repair it. My only suggestion would be to replace the backing fabric, use enough quilting to stabilize it and may be replace the binding by cutting it off and adding a new binding.
    Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 AM
    Power Poster

I got a bad length of black fabric, too. And I bought it new in about 1995. We found out it was bad in 1997.
    Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Boy oh boy I sure need suggestions

I so agree with this statement and so glad you posted this. One more suggestion is to undo the binding, remove the old backing and reapply a new prequilted backing. I have never had this problem but the prequilted fabric I have used has been great with no problem ( mostly bags.) I think the old backing would cause problems with the new backing so I would remove it. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best with lots of hugs and a big thank you to your brother for serving in Vietnam. I salute him as so few people did in those days.

Originally Posted by star619
    "All things are possible…" If your brother could survive Vietnam, "we" can handle this. Take a deep breath, look over the solutions offered, and then make your choice about solutions. Personally, having given quilts to people who didn't know what they were receiving (son & DIL), and seeing the resultant "abuse", I would not remove backing, and choose binding solution that was the easiest for you. After so much effort, and hope for the recipient to recognize the time, effort & love you put into your creation, it is heartbreaking for there to be an issue.
    Hugs to you, and your brother, and move on past this temporary bump in the road.
    P.S. Personal opinion, it must be hard for your brother to see all the adulation heaped upon soldiers of recent conflicts after the opposite reception of Vietnam vets as they returned from their "conflict". As part of the American public (though not a protester!), I regret the lack of recognition that our Vietnam vets faced.
    Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Is this fabric only in the backing?? Is the front of the quilt in good shape? If so you can put a second back on it, quilt it very lightly just to hold it together and rebind. Leave the "bad" on, don't un-sew it, just add the new back.
    I agree as well, just put on a new backing and lightly requilt it to keep it together.
    Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM

So happy about this thread. I am going to be learning to QAYG on my sons quilt, the back of it being black fabric and here's the big part of it...the fabric is a bolt that my Mother had before she passed 30 years ago. I'm not even going to attempt to use it (what a waste). But I can use it for practice quilting and shredding up for dog bed stuffings I guess. Or any suggestions any of you might have. Thank you for starting this thread!
    Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Might be easier to make him a new one. Thats what I would do.
    Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM

That's certainly what I'd do. Maybe find a tacking pattern on the front to compliment the quilting.