Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Brand- or no-name replacement blades? >
  • Brand- or no-name replacement blades?

• Brand- or no-name replacement blades?

Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

I buy at a fraction the price through www.jhittle.com . They don't last quite as long as the name brand, but are much cheaper and help me to change blades more regularly without qualms.
    Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 AM

I buy Olfa multi packs (2 or 5) when they are on sale @ Joanns. Or Martelli's when they have them throught their redline direct sale. To get that, you need to go to their website (www.martellinotions.com/) and sign up for redline (go to bottom right of home page). They have monthly redline sales on specific items by month. One month will be cutters, another rulers, etc. Each year in late Noveber/early December, they have a 50% off everything sale By signing up, you will get notifications of the monthly redline sale.
    Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    Be careful! I bought DAFA blades from eBay UK and despite stating that they would fit my Fiskars cutter - they didn't. They made my cutter seem as if it had a flat tyre..............

My Fiskars cutter's hole is a perfect circle, whereas Olfa and other blade centres are fluted. Perhaps your is different. The seller did, however, refund my money. Happy quilting.
    Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes they show the same picture for all brands so given your information I will ask before purchase.

Thanks to everyone who has replied for sharing your experiences!
    Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QKO
    We use Martelli (me) blades and Clover (she) blades for our shop cutting. The Martelli blades outlast the Clover blades by 5 or 6 to one. Olfa blades haven't done as well as Clover. And the Martelli blades get more use. I'll never use anything else again, they're well worth the premium price.

Never tried the titanium blades though.
    Do the Martelli blades fit in other cutters, such as the Olfa and Fiskars cutters?
    Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 AM

I use the Olfa blades, but always look for a good deal, stock up on sales, that sort of thing. I'm one of those Harbor Freight drop out's, mainly because I had to put so much pressure on the cutting blade to get through the fabric that it was chewing up my cutting board. I also have some titanium blades (a birthday present from Hubby), and I have to say I adore them. Light pressure cuts through anything, IMHO. I also second the Martinelli brand. I used one during a "group quilt" and it was light, well balanced and cut beautifully. I haven't been able to afford to buy one for myself, but I will when I can.

I can tell you that the Martelli blades do not fit in my Olfa cutter, because I tried. But if I switched to Martelli I'd get the cutter as well because it feels so nice in my hand and makes cutting easier.

Last edited by MacThayer; 12-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 AM

I use the Harbor Freight blades and have had no problems or issues.
    Old 12-18-2013, 02:43 AM
    Banned

Mqriatherese. I sent you a private message. Did you receive it.
    Old 12-18-2013, 02:50 AM

All I use are Olfa cutters. I was lucky to find 6 packages of 5 new blades at an estate sale this fall for $5 each. That should do me for a while.
    Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 AM

I always buy Olfa blades...when on sale....I mostly use my 60mm cutter, and the Harbor Freight blades are not that size.
    Old 12-18-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by mariatherese
    Do you think it is worth the extra money to go for brand name replacement blades to your rotary cutter? Should I even spring for the titanium blades? Will they run the extra miles to make up for their extra cost?

Keep in mind that I live in Sweden so everything is super expensive. Any deal I can make is off eBay, more or less.
    I SWEAR BY the Martelli rotary cutter blades.............They have a "Redline Direct" sale periodicaly (3-4 times per year) (sign up for the monthly notices at their Martelli Notions website)..where these are 50% off..........I am super hard on blades, and these far outlast ANY other blades I have used ( and I have used them all I believe).......