Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • breaking needles when stippling >
  • breaking needles when stippling

• breaking needles when stippling

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Hi All! New to here and new to stippling, sooo, have a problem. I am trying to learn how to do stippling and I am having a problem with my needles breaking. I know it is me and not my machine, so what am I doing wrong? I drop my feed dogs, put on the open presser foot, have tried slower and have tried faster speeds when moving the test piece. By the 'hits' on my plate it looks like the needle is hitting to the front of the plate. So far I have gone thru about 7-8 needles. I may be your first 'lost cause'! LOL
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 AM

It has to do with the speed of the quilt being moved. It takes lots of practice to get into a rythem. Sounds like you are pulling-pushing the quilt while the needle is going into the machine. You need to have more speed on the machine and a smoother movement of the quilt. Easy? No, but with practice you'll get better. Don't give up.

Where in IL are you?
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 AM

Could it be possible that you are moving your fabric too fast? It might be pulling the needle out of position, causing it to hit the plate and snap. I know that when I get tired, I start moving the fabric too fast and end of up awful looking stitches.
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 AM
    KR

Sounds like the rest of your quilt is getting hung up on the edge of the table/in your lap/behind the machine/etc. When that happens, the needle can bend enough so it hits the throat plate and breaks. I'm no expert, but I've learned that before I begin stitching, I adjust the rest of the quilt so the area I'm working can be moved easily and freely. Hopefully some more experienced FMQ'ers will weigh in here. Karen
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 AM
    Banned

you are pulling your needle it is called needle flexion and us longarmers have to deal with this all the time and we have to adjust our tension. or the fabric is getting hung up and sretching the and pulling the needle
    Old 10-13-2010, 05:41 AM
    Power Poster

also does your foot have a spring on it. a darning foot does and that is used for FMQ. it helps keep the fabric still for the split second the needle is in the fabric.
    fast foot pedal speed and slower fabric movement.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

All good suggestions. It takes time to get it right. Hang in there!
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by laureneberhard
    It has to do with the speed of the quilt being moved. It takes lots of practice to get into a rythem. Sounds like you are pulling-pushing the quilt while the needle is going into the machine. You need to have more speed on the machine and a smoother movement of the quilt. Easy? No, but with practice you'll get better. Don't give up.

Where in IL are you?
    Lauren, I live in Wood River, near Edwardsville. Thanks for your help, this is very frustrating, and I'm not one to give up, but this is getting the better of me! I'll keep trying, wonder if I buy needles in bulk if it's cheaper, the way I'm breaking them, cheap is good! 0h, and guess you could tell, patience is not my strong point, haha!
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks everybody, guess I'll keep trying, and practicing on being more patient as I try to learn. You may wanna buy stock in schmetz needles in the next day or two!
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 AM
    Power Poster

When I first got my frame I broke needles right and left. I found some bulk needles on line and bought those. I love having all those needles but found the problem was me trying to move too fast. I increased the speed on my machine and kept moving it at the same pace and it fixed my problem. I still break needles now and then but not nearly as much.