Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM >
  • BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

• BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

Old 04-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Do you have the wrong needle plate on your machine?
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 AM

My last FMQ I broke several needles until I noticed that every time it broke I was crossing a thick seam. As the foot hopped over the seam it would catch a little and on the next hop it would let go and bend/break the needle.
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 AM

I am glad you asked that question. I had same problem last week while FM. I was so frustrated. I have read great suggestions and will take them into consideration next time. Your project did come out beautifully though.
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    I am desperate for help now while free motioning. I thought I'd just throw together a really Springy tulip wallhanging. When it was time to do FM, I broke so many needles I'm embarrassed to give you a count.
    I've tried everything. I see that my needle hits the sole plate after just a few stitches. I tried everything. Chgd needles, threaded & rethreaded. I really slowed down on moving my quilt sandwich since it looked like I might be pulling it too hard & bending the needle. I can straight stitch without problems. What should I do about my sole plate? I've FM in the past & didn't have this trouble.
    Please help !!!
    Are you pulling a lot? That will do it. Otherwise, no suggestions. Good luck.
    Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 AM

That's really pretty. Glad you got it done. Hope you have better luck with the next one. I haven't had the problem you had, but I have a Pfaff with a drop in bobbin so I decided to take a look and see if the tension could be adjusted. Sure enough, there is a really tiny adjusting screw on the side of the bobbin case. You have to take the bobbin case out of the machine and look really closely to see it. Now I know where it is in case I need to adjust my bobbin tension.
    Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lbelkin
    You didn't say what machine you have but I can totally sympathize with you. I had this happen to me on a Pfaff Creative Vision. I was so frustrated I wanted to scream. I finally found out that I was using the wrong free motion foot. I was using the one for the Pfaff 2170. The two feet looked exactly the same. Once I switched to the new creative vision free motion quilting foot I have not had a problem. No needle breakage at all. I couldn't believe the difference. Make sure you are using the right foot for your machine. Hope this helps.
    I have a Viking Platinum. I'm using a free motion foot. Feed dogs are down. My needles are 80s which might also be a prob. One thing different was I used a little basting spray.
    I sure appreciate everybody's suggestions. I will make a few chgs. now to see if that helps.

Thank you all for your help.
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 AM

Very cute tulips! I had some of the same problem and the repair guy said to use jean needles because the regular ones have too much give. So far so good!
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 AM

It is possible that somewhere your thread is getting caught, maybe on the spool itself, this causes the needle to be pulled back & break. Been there, done that
    Maire
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:51 AM

If you do find that you have to sew more slowly, listening to very slow music seems to help.
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM

know this is an older post, but a size 80/12 needle is too weak to use for FM quilting. Go to a 110/18 & you will have much better results (Jeans needle)
    Marge