Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM >
  • BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

• BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by margecam52
    know this is an older post, but a size 80/12 needle is too weak to use for FM quilting. Go to a 110/18 & you will have much better results (Jeans needle)
    Marge
    Thank you so much for this info. I definitely will ck. into stronger needles when I get to town.
    Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Because we restore vintage machines we get a lot of questions like this. Quality and type of needle used has a profound impact. Go to Schmetzneedles.com for a guide.
    Tension set too high can also put tork on the thread and needle especially in free motion. Many times free motion can be done with a presser foot attached and that helps stablized the pull and drag of the thread through the fabric from side to side etc.
    Another good thing to look up is sewing Machine trouble shooting on the web- there are many places that give you a comprehensive list. If you're able to do a straight stitch with the machine, more likely then not it is something to do with your motion and or tension. You really don't realize how much pressure is being exerted against the needle when you free motion.
    Old 04-17-2011, 02:51 PM

I have FMQ for years and I don't remember ever breaking a needle. Do you have a friend that could come over and look @ your machine to see if they can figure out what is happening? :oops:
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 PM

I agree with meemersmom
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Does your machine have a threader? If so, make sure when using it that the needle is not hitting the plate. My threader (on my Viking Sapphire) was bending my needle just enough to have the needle hit the plate. In one evening I broke over a dozen needles. It would be ok for about 8-15 stitches and then break. Here the maintenance person at the dealers shop had put in a new threader (without my asking for it as it was working just fine when I took the machine in to them) and he put it in sideways or something. I had another one put in and needles quit breaking.
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 PM

could be drag with a big heavy quilt. are your dog feeds down?
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Great idea to ck. Schmetz needle site. Thanks for that suggestion.
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 PM
    Power Poster

I use size 14 needles all the time, needles only break if I pull when the needle is down.
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MiMi in Lutz
    Does your machine have a threader? If so, make sure when using it that the needle is not hitting the plate. My threader (on my Viking Sapphire) was bending my needle just enough to have the needle hit the plate. In one evening I broke over a dozen needles. It would be ok for about 8-15 stitches and then break. Here the maintenance person at the dealers shop had put in a new threader (without my asking for it as it was working just fine when I took the machine in to them) and he put it in sideways or something. I had another one put in and needles quit breaking.
    No, I don't use my needle threader since I haven't taken the time to figure out how. Thankfully I can see well enough to thread the needle. The only other time I've had a prob. you all solved it by letting me know I was going through too many thicknesses. I'm so puzzled since I've done other FM previously without breaking needles but it started all of a sudden.
    You've all made suggestions that I'm going to try very soon. It's too hot to work out in my little shop since it's 100 deg. I have a window AC but it can't keep up sometimes. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM

PatG,
    The first thing my Husqvarna Viking Dealer told me was that Wal-Mart Needles weren't to be used with the Designer I USB & I should use Schmetz. After using 80s to hem Denim I kept breaking needles, went back in & she told me to use 90s or 100s for Denim. They are now carrying Organ Needles that work well too, and are a better value. FMQing is a delicate maneuver, & if one entity is off even a tad, it creates problems. I keep an array of Needle sizes, as I have a Small Home Sewing Business & never know what customers will bring me.

Google fabric type to find out the size needle you need for different fabrics, then try the next size needle when FMQing.

You mention that your Dealer carries 100 needles for $50, but what brand are they? Hope this helps.