Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Broken Kenmore? Fix or replace >
  • Broken Kenmore? Fix or replace

• Broken Kenmore? Fix or replace

Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I oiled her this afternoon and let it set awhile, then called the repair shop where I have had it cleaned.. it could be "Gummed up" Either too much or not enough oil. That machine is a heavy sole, but after a trip in a snow storm she's in the fix-it shop. All of you seem to be hitting the nail on the head from what I was told. It will take a week of R&R for sure. I just started a quilt so need to be patient! It was my first purchase once I became employyed and on my own.. We'll see how it goes, any advice on something new and simple?
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM

New and simple machine? or new and simple quilt? and if you end up buying a different machine, buy the heaviest one you can afford... the more metal IN it, the better it will last... balance this with the features you want and it's the best you can do...
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer
    I've been dabbling in vintage sewing machine repairs for quite a few years and I have never heard of a "head going" .... I love those late 60's early 70's Kenmores. I've found most of them to be all steel and almost undestructable. .... Did the dealer by any chance try to sell you a new machine??
    I would have this same suspicion. The Kenmores of this era are going to be sewing in a hundred years.

Which model is it? There are a few of them which actually have more than one interior belt and if they replace only one, it might not be the belt that's causing the trouble.

I would guess that the motor could burn out with heavy use, but the mechanical parts? Nahhhhhh.... I wouldn't buy that. I don't think your repair person knows what they're talking about. Just the way he phrased it is odd.

Learning how to repair and maintain these machines is really fun and a lot easier than you might think. There are going to be some jobs that are too difficult to handle without proper tools (that dual belt pulling, for instance) but if you know what needs to be done, you can show the repair person where the problem is and they won't be as likely to try to take advantage of you if you act like you know your stuff.

As for a second machine - find a Singer 15-91 in a sturdy cabinet, spend $150 replacing the electrical components (wiring, control & light) and getting the motor cleaned and re-wired and you will have a FABULOUS piecing and FMQ machine. (Jenny at sew-classic.com does this motor refurbishment at a very reasonable price - less than $150 for ALL the electrical refurb and replacements.) Where are you going to find such a perfect sewing machine that will sew for another hundred years for $300?
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM

I have a very old Kenmore myself... they are worth keeping! don't give up on her!!!!
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM

I agree with Charlee and others, these old machines rarely have a fatal failure. I hope your repair person gets her back running. For a secondary machine, I would also get an inexpensive vintage machine. You can work on them yourself, don't have to worry about much happening to them when they sit neglected and unused. But you may get to like it so much, that you enjoy sewing on your second machine just as much. Watch Craig's list, free cycle or garage sales and pick one up for $20 or less. If you want more fancy stitches and zig zag, look for a mid century Singer 400, 500 series machine with cams. Will probably cost you a bit more but worth it if you want that capability also.

The big thing is no expensive electronics to wear out or have to replace with the old gals.
    Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
    Power Poster

For a new machine, it really depends on (A) your budget, and (B) what you want.

If you want a lightweight machine to take to classes, then a Janome Jem can be a good purchase (lightweight, good for piecing, not good for quilting). If you want something for machine quilting that has a lot of bells and whistles, I think it's hard to beat the Janome 6600 (which I think are in the $1,000-1,500 range) because of its extra-big harp.
    Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM

I would definitely have it checked out. I think the older machines are so much better than the new ones that are cheaply built. I have a 45 year old Singer that I can still get parts for cheaply, unlike a newer computerized machine that is no longer supported.