Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Brother PE 500 >
  • Brother PE 500

• Brother PE 500

Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by fruitloop
    I'm glad I found this post. My friend has this machine, bought at Walmart several years ago, and is very pleased with it. I have used her machine several times to put names on items. She had a problem with it and the Brother dealer fixed it, no problem. No put down where she bought it. The dealer said she was glad Walmart had these beginner machines because most users wanted more advanced machines after using the beginner machines for awhile. She sells a lot of machines thanks to Walmart.
    I would not be using this dealer, mine services all my machines including my walmart one if it bever needed it.
    Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 AM

The little brother 4x4 machines have been around for decades now..started with the PE150 i think and they embroider as well as the $$ ones just on a smaller scale. For your intended purpose, it should be just fine. You can easily do attractive labels but true, not much room for long names..in that case you can use initials and fewest words possible. I think it will take up to 5 letters in the medium font? Anyone know?
    Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
    I would be careful about buying a machine at Walmart. A few years ago, a friend of mine purchased a Brother at Walmart. She had to take it in for servicing, and the service guy told her he wouldn't work on it. He said Brother makes a lower quality machine specifically for Walmart, and it is not the same quality Brother that is sold elsewhere.
    Not to get too far off topic but we have had many discussions on whether Walmart Brothers are any good. I think the overwhelming response is that they are, for what you get. A good basic machine that in almost all of the time works right out of the box. My three Walmart version machines did. All different. Why would a dealer care where the machine was purchased?

Anyway, good luck with your decision and I would always choose a Brother machine first.
    Old 11-20-2014, 05:08 AM

I once bought a brother from Walmart...then read some negative reviews here, returned it....bought a babylock from a dealer....hate it.....will go back and buy the brother that I originally had! JMHO
    Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 AM

I have a Brother Project Runway from WalMart. It's about 6 years old. Never been serviced or oiled. Good little machine. Doesn't embroidery, but I just wanted a lightweight machine that I could take to classes & on trips. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Now that I'm thinking about the oiling, I think I am going to have to investigate how to oil it myself. What was I thinking? My older machines have to be oiled every few times you use them. I'm surprised the baby Brother has done as well as it has, with the lack of care it has been given.
    Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM
    Power Poster

She had a problem with it and the Brother dealer fixed it, no problem. No put down where she bought it.

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I would not be using this dealer, mine services all my machines including my walmart one if it bever needed it.
    Why wouldn't you use the dealer that fixed the machine and didn't care that it came from Walmart?
    Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 PM

I looked into this machine at Walmart and they are not available anymore?!?!?They have the newer SE400, but will they substitute it for the 500??? It's not even available on line!!
    Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bdschafer
    I looked into this machine at Walmart and they are not available anymore?!?!?They have the newer SE400, but will they substitute it for the 500??? It's not even available on line!!
    I don't think they'll have it in stock until Black Friday or whenever their black friday sale starts.
    Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM

I think my sister has the SE400 and she said she can't hook it up to the computer to download different designs onto it. She has to use some kind of a card and card reader for it. Maybe it's not the same model she has...

eta: never mind-her machine is the SE270D.

Last edited by gale; 11-20-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    Old 11-21-2014, 01:20 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by bdschafer
    The SE400 is an older machine than the PE500. Walmart doesn't sell the 500 on line, they only sell it in the stores.

Cari