Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Brother PQ 1500s >
  • Brother PQ 1500s

• Brother PQ 1500s

Old 06-07-2014, 03:47 AM

Default Brother PQ 1500s

My new machine will be here in 3 days and I am very excited. I know there are a lot of quilters that use this machine. I thought if this machine has any quirks this would be the best place to ask. Is this machine picky about thread? Is there a stitch in the ditch foot that will fit this machine? Also, any other things that I need to know that's not in the handbook?
    Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 AM

You will love it. Mine is not picky about thread. I use mostly Mettler thread, but it uses any other kind too. I have used YLI, Coats & Clark, and others. I don't have a stitch in the ditch foot but it does have a 1/4" foot. I don't use that though. I just figured out where the 1/4" falls and put a sticky pad on the machine to place my fabric against. I know where the fabric should be positioned under the foot. You will learn it easily. The scissors work great on mine. Some people have complained about the thread pulling out of the needle after cutting. When threading, I only use 2 of the holes in the little thread holder. I have two other more expensive machines, but the 1500 is the one I do all my piecing on. I don't quilt on this machine, so I can't speak about that feature. I do oil mine frequently. It will get noisy if you don't keep it oiled good. It is just a great simple machine, like the Singer Featherweight. I have had mine for over 5 years and I use it a lot. If it quit today, I would have to go buy another one just like it. Enjoy using your new one. A lot of folks on this board have one so you can get help here.
    Old 06-07-2014, 05:02 AM

I love mine. It doesn't seem to be picky about thread. Do keep it oiled though, especially if it hasn't been used for awhile. I bought it to put on my frame to use with my PCQuilter. Haven't gotten that up and running yet but love the machine for piecing.
    Old 06-07-2014, 05:33 AM

I LOVE this machine!!!!! Hints- 1)thread cutter may seem to cut thread too short so needle comes unthreaded often. I try to pull the fabric out the back instread of the front and that seems to help, Just beware of this. 2)Also DO NOT store extra thread on the cone thread holder. It can become wrapped in the wheel. ENJOY your new machine!!!!!!
    Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 AM

There are lots of great reviews/testimonials here on the board. Just do a search. Here's just one:http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t243674.html

Congrats on your new machine.
    Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 AM

This machine is what I refer to as my workhorse machine. Great for piecing and I DO use the 1/4" foot. Love it. I also use it alot for FMQing and it has never failed me yet. I'm just now finishing up some baby blankets using Minkee for backing and even that goes through just fine. Oiling is important as is CLEANING out the lint that collects around the bobbin area. You'll be happy. I do like the Organ brand of needle that came with my machine.
    Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 PM

I have 7 machines and this one is my favorite. You might join the Yahoo group, there are lots of active and helpful members there. Just do a search for Brother PQ 1500.
    Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Love, love, love this machine...it's not just excellent for quilting, but I love to piece on it. It's so simple, does one thing and does it well. The only quirk I've had is when I've used the thread cutter sometimes the thread would bounce back up and come out of the needle. I just had to reduce the number of holes I threaded it.
    Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 AM

I too love love love my PQ ! I did have to purchase a different FMQ foot as the one that came with my machine did NOT work right. I ordered the Juki High Shank foot and it works like a dream ! my machine LOVES Connecting Thread both the 100% cotton and the Essential Pro poly . It has yet to truly hate any thread in particular. Oil , oil, oil ! I clean by bobbin area after every bobbin change ( I unscrew for a full cleaning when I oil ) , I oil after every 10 bobbins. I just stack my used bobbins on a small peg near my machine and when it is full ( it holds 10 ) I oil and unscrew the footplate and do a full clean in there.
    Old 06-08-2014, 05:28 AM

I agree with all the other comments. I also have purchased the Juki foot for FMQ. When mine was new, I had a little trouble getting the bobbin to sit properly in the machine and still occasionally get it in wrong. I used to use the cutter, but about every fifth time, it needed re-threading so I don't se tha much anymore. The other problem I have is that it goes like the wind and I like to FMQ a little slower, so there's a learning curve there.

I do a lot of charity quilting and they give me thread, and everything seems to work OK, even the cheaper stuff, but those require a lot more cleaning.