Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Building a stash >
  • Building a stash

• Building a stash

Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    As you make projects, your stash will naturally grow. I advise against going out and just randomly buying fabric on sale, unless you have a specific project in mind. The only exception I think is finding light print neutrals, black, white or other solids that you know you can use in future projects. When I first started out, I bought some 'stash' fabric, willy-nilly, many fat quarters and I still have a lot of it, as it just never was 'right' for a project.
    Another important factor is your style of quilts, or the types of fabrics/designs you will make. I tend to make more modern, geometric pattern quilts, so florals, calico prints just hardly ever work for me, and some of the earlier fabrics I bought were these because I thought they were pretty. As you get more experience, you will learn your preferences. Now, I buy solid white and black by the bolt on sale, and most solid colors on sale too, as I know I will use them.
    Jeanne is absolutely right--build as you go! If you are looking for free/inexpensive sources of fabric, check out a guild, garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales. Good luck!
    Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Thrift shops and yard sales are the cheapest source. Learn to recognize quality fabric so you don't bring home junk.
    Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 PM

For us non_US folks what is an estate sale?

Some people throw away small leftover pieces of fabric so if you know any quilters ask for their leftovers. The site www.equilter.com com sells booty packs which is bolt ends assortment. Ask for quilt fabric for your birthday/christmas gifts.
    Old 12-03-2016, 08:51 PM

An estate sale is held when someone has died or moved to a nursing home, etc. It's for selling the remainder of their estate. I love estate sales. Lots of great finds.
    Old 12-03-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nerys
    For us non_US folks what is an estate sale?

Some people throw away small leftover pieces of fabric so if you know any quilters ask for their leftovers. The site www.equilter.com com sells booty packs which is bolt ends assortment. Ask for quilt fabric for your birthday/christmas gifts.

An estate sale is a large sale of most items from the home of a deceased person or (generally) one who has gone to a nursing home or to live with family. Estate sales are often run by a family member or sometimes an auctioneer.
    Old 12-04-2016, 03:28 AM

I don't know where you live in Nevada but I bought tons of cheap fabric at a thrift store in Las Vegas when I was there several years ago. We have a Savers here that almost gives you the fabric, it's that cheap. My DH is a veteran and they always give him 30% off. As I travel around the country camping, I always stop at thrift stores and buy fabric.
    Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 AM

Be careful with what you wish for... LOL. I agree with lfletcher, it will grow naturally. I try to buy fabric for projects at hand but invariably, there is always leftover pieces or you end up switching out a fabric that maybe just didn't fit into your project. Your stash will grow overnight...
    Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 AM

[QUOTE=Nerys;7711710
    Some people throw away small leftover pieces of fabric so if you know any quilters ask for their leftovers.[/QUOTE]

I've been given piles of leftovers. Most of my friends now know that if it is heading for the dumpster, give it to Mavis. It's so nice to make a scrappy quilt out of other people's stuff. When you are putting it together, you don't have to worry too much about getting two of the same fabrics next to each other.

If I get too much, or don't like some of it, it can be donated to St. Vinnie's or sent in the planes that go to Jamaica. The military needs to train their pilots; they need to learn how to fly a plane that is loaded. So they take things to the missions down there. They take sewing machines and cabinets, bicycles, fabric and lots of other things. The plane leaves from Milwaukee and we have a man near here who gathers stuff together and a semi comes and picks it up and delivers it to the plane.
    Old 12-04-2016, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

You can get some of your best buys at an estate sale. Don't forget to check the closets for cotton dresses and shirts and blouses. I've gone to estate and garage sales and often scoop up plus size dresses and big and tall men's clothing. I look in the closets and see fabric on racks that look like shirts and blouses. They may be just what you need. Don't throw away those buttons on the strips. Leave the button strips in tact. They are perfect for the back of a pillow case to a throw pillow.
    Originally Posted by zozee
    An estate sale is a large sale of most items from the home of a deceased person or (generally) one who has gone to a nursing home or to live with family. Estate sales are often run by a family member or sometimes an auctioneer.
    Old 12-04-2016, 05:05 AM

Have you heard that some fabric is male, and other is female, and they have adolescent hormones? Once you're out of sight and earshot, they party, and then one thing leads to another. Before you know it, there are fabric babies all over the place. Better to "arrange marriages" (buy just for each project) and watch the family grow over time, than to be running a fabric brothel and cotton daycare.