Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Building a stash ??? >
  • Building a stash ???

• Building a stash ???

Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Well there are a variety of ways. For example, I collect cat related fabrics and have a collection of black and white (and also hotish pink) that I will eventually make a quilt from. So when I see a neat black and white it gets added to the stash. I also love stripes so I tend to collect those. I'm also a fall colors kind of gal so I collect those. Getting the idea?
    Old 12-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Yard sales are great to find bargains, also estate sales and thrift shops.
    Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM

It took me a long time to build my stash--over two years. I just bought what I saw on sale, and I usually buy an extra 1/4-yard when I buy for a specific project. (I've run out before, and so I always buy extra.) Usually, I end up with leftovers. You can find good deals on this board too.
    Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM

i used to hoard fabric and spend oodles of money on it -only to have it sit for a long long time. now I only buy things for my stash if they are neutral or batik, everything else I buy with a pattern in mind and then bundle it up with a ribbon until I am ready to make it. after 20+ years of quilting, I'm ready to accept my largest stash is really at the quilt store - they have everything that I need, when I need it :-)
    Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Fabric is everywhere. The next time you are in a thrift store, check for yards of unused fabric or cotton shirts you can cut up. Ask people you know to think of you before they throw fabric items out. I have strips of denim (and pockets!) from blue jeans because I told people I wanted them. Stashes are built from unusual sources as well as the retail outlets.

Have fun, let your creativity run wild, and make notes for what you will do with what you accumulate. Right now what's on my mind is to find yardage of striped fabric that I can use to make a basketweave quilt. Simple but effective. Failing that, plaids will have to be included. Not the vision, but in quilting as in music, improvising is essential. And sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
    Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
    kbs

Some of my stash I've had for a long time. Buy a little extra, watch for sales, do scrap quilts, it does take time to build but it will and then you will have to sort, stack, restack, find more room..... have fun!!!!
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 PM

I dont know about the every one else but my stash start out like yours, leftovers. I would buy fabric planning on using it then life happened and I didnt. Friends and family started giving me fabric. I would search classifieds and thrift shops. And now I'm at a point that my dh says no more fabric. But not a week goes by that I dont by at least a fat quarter. Most of the time I wont buy less than 2 yds. Walmart is the best place to buy cheap fabric. Not all of their fabric is good fabric, but I would say about half of what I have came from wally world. Now that our local walmart only sells precuts, I shop alot at joanns. Its little by litte, where ever we can find it. I've even cut up cloths for the fabric.
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM

I have a nice stash, and can in a pinch make a quilt from it without having to buy for THAT quilt. When I buy yardage for a quilt I round up what is called for; anything under 1 yard is rounded up to 1 yd; 1 1/4 = 1 1/2; 1 1/2 = 2 yds, etc.
    I also round up on backings, the extra make great borders for scrappy quilts, or binding; speaking of which for bindings I usually buy a full yard which is usually alot more than you need.
    I check the sale racks at the LQS, stock up on FQ's, and always pick through the scrap bins at the LQS.
    Just yesterday one of not so close quilt shops was having a FQ weekend sale; for $1.50 each (regular $2.50), if you bought 10 or more they were $1.25 each, I bought 30!! and saved at least $30.00.
    If you find a multiple color print that you LOVE, buy 2 to 3 yards, cut a corner, 2" or so and carry it with you. Buy lights, mediums and darks of each color in it. Buy on sale a couple of pieces at a time. It will add up over time, those like myself with a large stash, it took us years to get to this point.
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM

I started building stash by buying at yard sales, moving sales, thrift stores, and any other place I found a piece big enough to bring home. Wasn't too busy with it at first, and all of a sudden, I had more fabric than I could stash. Thats the way it starts, but it never ever ends
    Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM

I buy anywhere from 1 yard to 15 yards of a material if I like it and it's on sale! There was a quilt shop that went out of business, I was there the last day and bought over $1,000 of material at $2.75 a yard. Considering the cost of material now, I am certainly glad I did that last year!