Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • But I don't Need It >
  • But I don't Need It

• But I don't Need It

Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    My DH tells me that men don't understand subtle, you have to hit them over the head with a 2x4! Be very straightforward but gentle with him. (Afterall, we don't want to discourage the urge to get you gifts!) Let him know that you consider a sewing machine to be an investment that you plan to have for YEARS and you want to make sure if you get a new one, it is one you will use.
    The bit about the men NOT understanding SUBTLE!!!! That's just about universal, I think!! My man especially....I have to be direct with him. He doesn't get hints...they sail right over his head.
    Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM

My DH is also VERY supportive of my habit...oops..I meant hobby. :wink: And he also likes to spoil me. Like some of the other significant others on here, he has lovingly bought some gifts that his heart was in the right place...but not really what I wanted/needed. We now put a "wish list" on the fridge by about the beginning of November. I get VERY specific...website or store, model #, cost, etc. Makes for a lot less miscommunication. None of us are mindreaders. I dont' always know what he would like either. :cry:

Patti
    Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM

I don't have any happy memories of gift from a hubby....I love carnations cause they last a long time and there are endless varieties...I wish someone bought me flowers... if I get any I have to buy them...be careful what u say u don't want
    Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm sorry that nobody gives you flowers..So I give you a virtual Dutch rose.
    [img]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-6JC44KST.jpg[/img]

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Knot Sew...you are sooooo right!!!! This is my 3rd hubby...and the first one that has ever bought me things "just because". If, heaven forbid, he goes before I do, I will miss those moments....and I do cherish him, and each one of those moments I get!!!
    Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
    Power Poster

Maybe start your list with:
    PLEASE do NOT buy me a sewing machine
    But I would LOVE to have:

sometimes the direct approach does work best :wink: :D

Thank you for sharing all of the touching stories!!
    Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM

My honey always wants to make me happy, but sometimes he falls short of the mark. One year there was a gadget that I really wanted. I cut out the picture along with the store where it could be purchased, and now he never goes wrong!! :oops:
    Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
    I wish someone bought me flowers...
    Had I known, I would have sent him your way. That way we all would have been happy.

Actually, we were still living in Germany when I had my little tantrum. My Mom gave me a piece of her mind - how could you be so mean to that poor boy? (Funny, she always referred to Pat as that poor boy - lol). I talked to Pat and in the end he bought flowers and gave them to my Mom. ALl three of us were happy. He got to do his thing, my Mom liked the flowers, and I was left alone. The perfect world.
    Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Every time DH asks me if I want to buy a new sewing machine I know he has something new he wants, last time it was a new four wheel ATV. :D
    :lol: :lol: :lol: men you gotta love them!! My father in law had been wanting a video camera for years and i guess one day he got sick of waiting so when it was his wifes birthday he bought her the video camera...another year he came home with a boat....for mothers day!
    Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM
    Power Poster

It has taken me awhile, but I finally figured out how to get exactly what I am needing/wanting for whatever holiday....I go to the website...I pick out stuff and put it in the shopping cart. Lots of stuff...lots and lots of stuff....then I tell DH to go to that web site and look at the cart...empty some of the stuff and order the things he wants to. This way...I know I'm getting exactly what I would like, he knows that too and feels good about it, but I don't really know what it is. Works for us!