Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Button delema >
  • Button delema

• Button delema

Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
    For what it's worth, here is my suggestion. Use your sewing machine to make a small circular eyelet such as what you would use on a belt. You could slip the button shank through that hole from front to back. There are little metal clips used on buttons you want to remove prior to dry cleaning or laundry. That clip will keep the button upright without tipping downward. If you look in your button box or on the back of some cards of buttons, you probably have the clips available to quickly experiment.

In any case, your holiday quilt is cut and the embroidery is very nice. May your bobbin always be full ;-)
    Thanks Kay - That was actually one of my original options (I may not have explained myself clearly - lol) - to make a small button hole (the shank is actually too big for an eyelet) and as I am planning on using this one on a table, I was just going to "sew" the opening shut through the shank. This is what it looks like - very passable but I was reluctant after all this work to actually "cut" into the finished project before I explored other options!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582930[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dscn0965.jpg  
    Old 10-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Here goes that rebel in me - - just because sewing them on in place may have been in the directions, it might not be the best option for me to follow.

Firstly ( cringe - here goes my confession) I almost Never follow directions and secondly as my intent is to use this on a side table I am concerned if the buttons "wobble" and someone inadvertently places a glass on it, I run the risk of what ever was in the glass being spilt all over the side table and anything else around it. If it were to be used as a wall hanging, I probably would have sewed them on and been done with it. So my primary plan is to make them as stable as can be.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-25-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all CAPS
    Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 PM

Whatever you decide, please post some after pics! Looking good.
    Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 PM

If you are going to have it where people can set things on it, I'd skip the buttons completely. (I'm a server in a restaurant.) I put down a drink on a coaster today, and almost freaked out, because the glass acted really weird. Because the lady had a whopping big oval vitamin tablet on her coaster that I couldn't see. It would definitely have spilled if I had just put it down, but I still had a grip on it. Lol, it ended up not mattering, because they had 5 yo twins, and we had a double header spill before the end of the meal anyway. So, (focus, lol) I'd use the buttons if it were a wall covering, but not for a table piece. Maybe copy them with Bondex, and iron the cute snowmen on.
    Old 10-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
    Peckish - what is this E-6000? Have you ever used it?
    It's a glue, you can find it in craft and hardware stores. I learned about it when I got frustrated because a necklace I had made (yet another hobby!) had come apart. I asked a dear friend who is a beading expert what she uses, and she told me a dab of E-6000. I've purchased 3 tubes so far and my husband keeps making off with them.

I like the snap idea best. I like that it would enable you to wash the buttons if needed, and your buttons won't get faded or scraped by washing.
    Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter
    If you are going to have it where people can set things on it, I'd skip the buttons completely. (I'm a server in a restaurant.) I put down a drink on a coaster today, and almost freaked out, because the glass acted really weird. Because the lady had a whopping big oval vitamin tablet on her coaster that I couldn't see. It would definitely have spilled if I had just put it down, but I still had a grip on it. Lol, it ended up not mattering, because they had 5 yo twins, and we had a double header spill before the end of the meal anyway. So, (focus, lol) I'd use the buttons if it were a wall covering, but not for a table piece. Maybe copy them with Bondex, and iron the cute snowmen on.
    I agree with this. If it's going to be laying flat where someone could set a drink on it, skip the buttons altogether. Even if they are glued on, if someone sets a drink on them, it's going over. You can can sometimes find cute little iron on patches at Joann's that could be used instead.
    Old 10-27-2017, 04:02 PM

I'm loving the quilt!!
    Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Maybe cut the shank off, make a small loop with the green embroidery floss and glue it to the back of the button. Then tack it to the branches and let it hang free.
    Old 10-27-2017, 07:42 PM

I would get some other snowman or snowflake buttons and save these for another project.