Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buy machine at quilt show? >
  • Buy machine at quilt show?

• Buy machine at quilt show?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:23 PM

Default Buy machine at quilt show?

There will be a quilt show, within driving distance of my home, later this month. I'm going to the show, and I'm wondering if it would be a good place/time to buy an upgraded DSM -- Janome, Juki, Bernina. Do the vendors offer good deals on machines at the shows? Do local shops often have vendor booths at the shows, and if so, do they offer show discounts on their usual machine prices? Is it possible to buy the machines that have been used at the show (for classes or vendor demos)? If so, is there a "best time/way" to buy? Wait until near the end of the show? Or buy it early and pick it up later? How does one find out whether a demo machine is available for purchase?

Thanks!
    Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM

I bought my Sweet Sixteen at a quilt show. It was one used in the classes at the show and I got a good deal on it.
    Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

I would research the ones you are interested in beforehand, so you are familiar with prices. Then just go and ask questions and see what's available. You'll know if you are getting a good deal if you do your research beforehand.
    Old 08-05-2016, 05:42 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, local machine and fabric vendors will be there. You can ask at the booths what the deal will be for the machines used for the show. Often, they will sell the used machines at a discount, but you can't pick it up until the last day, or at the local vendor after the show. They will often have show special pricing on new machines too. Every manufacturer may be different so you will need to wait till the show and ask the specific vendor about the machine you are interested in.
    Old 08-05-2016, 05:47 PM
    Banned

The demo or classroom machines will be discounted to much better pricing than the "sale" prices on new machines. Often what they call sale prices at the big shows are only a few dollars less then what the dealers normally charge any way. This is what I saw at the last big show I went to. The classroom machines were heavily discounted though, some were as much as half off after the show.

Cari
    Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 PM

That all sounds swell! Thanks to you all for your help.
    I will be researching machines and prices before the show. I'd love to get a good deal on a demo/class machine. I guess there will be lots of people wanting to do that too? If so, are there any tricks to sealing a deal before someone else does? And who should I ask about machines used in classes -- not the instructor, probably, but who?
    Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 PM
    Power Poster

I almost bought my Bernina 440 at a show. I did get a written price on it, and was assured that my local dealer would be able to do the servicing. But - when I checked with the two nearest dealers, they said that they would not be able to offer the classes and service that they offer on machines that they sell. One of the dealers did agree to meet the show price, however, and I purchased the machine through him, getting his classes and service too.
    Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 PM

Thanks for that, Dunster. I will keep all this good information in mind!
    Old 08-06-2016, 03:59 AM

When I bought my janome 12000, it was from my dealer who had a booth at the Houston quilt show. I was unable to attend the show, but he had several machines he brought back with him. He gave me the special pricing he had at the show, which was a big savings. However, I had tons of problems with this machine and he ended up giving me a brand new one. Great dealer.
    Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 AM

If you have county fairs in you area you can get some good deals from your local dealer