Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying Christmas Fabrics? >
  • Buying Christmas Fabrics?

• Buying Christmas Fabrics?

Old 08-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Christmas fabrics are my weakness! I love all of them. Last week, I finished a Christmas quilt of metallic gold on light beige and black. For the foster children, I made a Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer from kits and have ordered a Frozen kit. Today, I planned a quilt using dark Kansas Troubles Christmas fabrics. I have recently finished a red and green Christmas quilt and plan to make several more using red and green Christmas fabric before the holiday.
    Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM

I've been collecting this year Christmas fat quarters for two scrappy Christmas quilts - won't be done till next Christmas. I tend to get the darker greens and reds with gold metallic.
    Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 PM
    Power Poster

I have not as yet, but my sister got some cute mittens in red and green by Moda. Adorable.
    Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 AM

I love all Christmas fabric. I love the novelty and the jewel tones. I especially love the ones with the old fashioned Santas on them. This is the back of a table topper I made last year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489116[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Old 08-26-2014, 03:45 AM

Yes the old fashioned vintage style Christmas fabrics are also very nice. Sort of nostalgia to how Christmas was. Does anyone know a site for Christmas fat quarters my usual online shops FabricDepot and EQuilter I did not see them?
    Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 AM

Hoffman just came out with their 2014 line. So far I have resisted purchasing but don't know how much longer I can resist
    Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 AM

I don't buy Christmas fabric, but use the Christmas colors to make gifts. Somehow I usually end up with a couple of pieces of Christmas fabric, (gifts, drawings at guild, etc.) which I incorporate in the projects.
    Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

Always make a drive to Missouri Star store in early fall to go through their great collection.
    Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 AM

I don't normally buy Christmas fabrics. A few years ago I bought a ton of cheap xmas fabric on sale after the holidays and sewed up a bunch of simple draw-string bags in various sizes to serve as reusable gift bags. Most of them are still in circulation amongst the family but I am out of them myself so maybe I'll do that again soon.

Last year I did buy some metallics in dark reds and greens and white and black and made a tree skirt with one of those wedge rulers. DH & I have been together 21+ years and this was our first real tree skirt! We had an old green tablecloth we'd wrap around the bottom of the tree before that, lol. The new one is MUCH prettier!

I'm not hugely into Christmas but I do enjoy making gifts for people, even before I was a quilter. At least half of my gifts over the years have been handmade. I wish I was *given* more handmade gifts! Those are the ones I really cherish. I always look forward to the handmade Christmas cards my niece and nephew make for me & DH. They think I'm being silly but I really do LOVE those cards and I keep every single one!
    Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM

I was in a shop last week and it looks like the traditional reds and greens are returning this year.... Some how lime and aqua just didn't say "Christmas" for me. Saved a lot of money the last couple of years.