Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying fabric for when I retire... doesn't quit work for me.. >
  • Buying fabric for when I retire... doesn't quit work for me..

• Buying fabric for when I retire... doesn't quit work for me..

Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM

I have soooooooooooooo much fabric that I will have to live 2 lifetimes to use it up but I have faith that I will
    Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think stocking up on good thread, batting and backing fabric would be a better stash for retirement. Those are basic and always cost more then you want to spend.
    My concern about this idea is that the quality & styles of fabric changes over the yrs. Thread changes too. I have stuff I've saved for many yrs. & now I found that the thread has deteriorated & the quality of fabrics has changed so much I won't even use it. It's on its way to the thrift store.
    Unless you plan to retire in the very near future, I'd be concerned about spending $ we can't spare for things we may not want to use in the future. Your interest in quilting may change, too. Just my thought.
    Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Leakus: I buy fabric when I see and like it. Enjoy
    Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM

I have been adding to my stash for 10 plus years. When I find a good Sale, I stock up on supplies & fabric. When my DH retires, I will be well set. Of course I'll still buy fabric but not like I do now when I find a good bargain or Sale. LOL
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM

20 years ago I began to "stockpile" fabric for "someday"
    Well someday is here now! I have not worked for the past 10 years, DH is a nursing home, fiances are tight- but my stockpile is keeping me sane and I have learned to make due and be quite creative with colors and patterns.

The real joy comes when I give away quilts to Linus or lap robes to the nursing home. Someone always brings me more fabric!

Evelyn
    Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
    Banned

I cant buy any fabric, but the wonderful people on this board have made it possible for me to have a small stash. I just hope sss will come through, so I can someday pay it forward. and so I can have a bigger stash to work from. God bless. Penny
    Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 PM

I'm on disability so my spending is limited, but I have a "stash" and try to add to it with blenders, backing, thread and batting when on sale w/coupons is available. I've got enough thread and batting to last me for quilte a while. I don't have huge quantities of fabrics because my tastes have definitely changed in the short time since I started quilting. I'll find a way to make the money stretch for something that I want or need!
    Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 AM

My sister's dream was to have a quilting business when she retired. Unfortunately, she lost her battle with colon cancer at age 58. She had her house & 2 storage facilities filled with fabric & books. I have been sending her quilt books all over the world as I find new homes for them. Unfortunately, I think a lot of her fabric got trashed as it was just too much to deal with & I was too far away. She was totally addicted to fabric and I'm afraid spent beyond her means which really became a problem when she was unable to work. Remember to build that rainy day fund for the unexpected as well as building your stash for the future.
    Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 AM

I once heard a person say that she went to places like Goodwill, as well as garage sales, and would buy shirts or whatever she could find, then cut them up and use them for making quilts. She once found a wedding dress that had been reduced way down and she made satin Christmas ornaments from it - lace, pearls, and all.
    Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 AM

I retired almost a year ago and my stash is not complete. As long as new fabrics and patterns are introduced I realize that the fabric I already have does not quite work. However,I can put a quilt top together with what I have, but I do like to concider the new fabrics and patterns.