Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying a new machine. Who knew? >
  • Buying a new machine. Who knew?

• Buying a new machine. Who knew?

Old 05-30-2024, 03:25 AM

When I waited and waited for the expensive desk ordered from Amazon, it did finally arrive. One leg was damaged. Waited for replacement leg for weeks! Some things just can't be mail ordered. They're great, but they do have 3rd party sellers.
    Old 05-30-2024, 06:28 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by aashley333
    When I waited and waited for the expensive desk ordered from Amazon, it did finally arrive. One leg was damaged. Waited for replacement leg for weeks! Some things just can't be mail ordered. They're great, but they do have 3rd party sellers.
    It's also important with Amazon to understand that they do used pooled inventory for many items that have third party sellers. Pooled inventory means that a bunch of vendors' stock and Amazon's are all in the same collective "fulfillment pool". There's no distinction at fulfillment (shipping) which vendor's physical item gets sent out. So even with Amazon as the seller, you might get an item "Joe Blow Crafts and Auto Parts" has warehoused at Amazon for pooled inventory. If "JBCAP" is an unscrupulous seller, that item might not truly be new (or the correct item.)

We've run into this several times over the years, as recent as 2 weeks ago. Non-OEM items. Used items. Wrong sizes. Wrong quantities in multi-pack items. The returns did get refunded, but then there's the hassle of having to reorder (and hope you don't get another bad/wrong item.)
    Old 05-30-2024, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mkc
    You might consider that it's currently showing "Temporarily out of stock", and something along the lines of "we are working to get more inventory" on Amazon. At this point, there's no telling when the order will ship or if they ever get stock back in.

ETA - I'd strongly consider cancelling the Amazon order. You can order direct from Singer and both items are on sale. $229.99 for the machine, $39.99 for the walking foot, and they're running a 20% off coupon code.

Machine (4452)

Heavy Duty Crafting Walking foot (using their accessory finder)

Coupon code is SUMMER20.

Comes to $215.98 plus tax, free shipping.
    Thank you, thank you mkc for giving me a bonk on the head!
    The SVP listing for the Singer 4452 has the included accessory pack I want for a lot better price using the coupon code, and free shipping. I totally missed that the coupon was only on a direct purchase and thought I had a good deal buying SVP thru Amazon. Anyway, the charges went right through with SVP. The shipping date is four days earlier than the newest projected date that Amazon had shown. Thanks again, you saved me some serious moolah!
    Old 05-30-2024, 05:24 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee
    Thank you, thank you mkc for giving me a bonk on the head!
    The SVP listing for the Singer 4452 has the included accessory pack I want for a lot better price using the coupon code, and free shipping. I totally missed that the coupon was only on a direct purchase and thought I had a good deal buying SVP thru Amazon. Anyway, the charges went right through with SVP. The shipping date is four days earlier than the newest projected date that Amazon had shown. Thanks again, you saved me some serious moolah!
    Glad to help - now go treat yourself and spend the savings on fabric and thread!

Michelle
    Old 05-31-2024, 01:39 AM

We order from Amazon all the time. However, I do check prices. Sometimes, I am willing to pay for the convenience of home delivery.
    Old 06-11-2024, 03:33 AM

Well, it's a sad day. The Singer machine arrived, a lot sooner than expected, , but after setting it up the bobbin winder wouldn't engage. I explained to the customer service rep that yes, when you move the bobbin post over the needle no longer goes up and down, but the post the bobbin sits on won't begin turning. We tried a few things but no results. To my little mind it seems a mechanical connection from the motor to the bobbin post just wasn't attached at the factory.
    After packing everything back in the box, I sat and thought it over. If the only thing wrong is the bobbin winder I can deal with that. I had a Sidewinder bobbin winder a while back, I'll just go get another one. So off I went to Walmart and got a Singer bobbin winder. It looked like my old one but oh no, another hot mess. We wrestled it out, I won, unpacked the machine and put my partially filled bobbin on. Next, test the rest of the machine to make sure there are no more glitches.
    We had a fight over whether the needle would get threaded or not. The LED light was poor, I had to bring in my Daylight light bar for backup. The needle position dial on top of the machine actually only has three settings. (My original concern before buying) The presser foot hid the edge of the fabric at a quarter inch. I'll need to find a clear foot to see what I'm doing.
    At this point I backed away from the table. Do I want to sink any more money just to make things work? If I send it back, will it end up in a landfill? So, after deliberating I go the Singer website to start a return, in case I decide it's a no go, and yes, we have another struggle. I can't get past a page loop to request the shipping label print out.
    So, what am going to do now? Honestly, I don't know. I do have a few weeks before my 30 days return deadline.
    Old 06-11-2024, 04:10 AM

do you have a ad/popup blocker? ive found i have to turn it off to use sites like that, shopping, paypal etc
    Old 06-11-2024, 04:39 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Definitely get your money back on that machine, and don't accept a replacement if you simply don't like the features. Not your worry where it ends up -- it should have passed quality control and the only way to get through to a corporation is by money.

Don't give up and don't let' time run out.

You paid for and you deserve a machine that works like it is supposed to.
    Old 06-11-2024, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

Send it back. call customer service and request return label be sent to your email. If you are determined to get this brand/model of machine Walmart here has it on the shelf.. It may be online but will come from the same place as yours. I wouldn't mess with it. Try a Brother sold at Walmart. I bought one for a retreat when I forgot my power cord and still using it for retreats. Much better then I thought. Nice little machine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-11-2024 at 05:24 AM.
    Old 06-11-2024, 05:36 AM

Oh my, what a story. I feel,bad for you. Please send this lemon of a machine back. nothing m but trouble, time and expense in your future if you keep it. Best wishes for a better machine that is in your budget.