Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying Too Many Quilt Books? >
  • Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

• Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

oh one cannot have too many quilting, crocheting, crafting books ! LOL
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

I love my quilt books and magazines, as it's so nice to sit and relax going through them to get ideas for new quilts. However, when we moved to a 2-bedroom apt. from a 3-bedroom home, I was forced to "downsize" my stash of books, and so many magazines. When I get a magazine I use Post-It notes to flag a quilt pattern I might like to make, so when deciding whether to keep a magazine or book, I would go to the flagged patterns, take another look and if I've changed my mind I gather them up and give them to my quilting buddy. When she's done looking at them she passes them on. One thing she told me that she does is to pull the pattern out of a magazine, put it in a see-through page protector and then put them into a binder. It seems to work out for both of us, and whatever book she wants, she keeps, then passes them on to another quilting buddy. Saves us all money in the end, although I have severely cut back on books and magazines since we moved. Drat. Oh well, I have enough magazines and books to last me a long time for ideas.
    Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM

If you find that you have quilt books you'd like to sell Victoriana Quilter has a section on her webpage where you can list them for sale at no charge. http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co.../UsedBooks.htm
    Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I have been guilty of purchasing too many quilting magazines and have found a way to cut down on my purchases. I take a quick pic with my phone camera if there is only 1 or 2 quilts in a magazine that I like. I then keep a folder on my computer filled with pics and instructions of quilt ideas. It only takes a min or 2 while I am at joann's or standing in the supermarket. I have even gone to the library and done it and it saves me from buying too many magazines that I don't need and I have a folder of ideas for future use and can find most patterns in the books I already own. If a book has at least 4 or 5 patterns that I do like, I will usually buy it to have later. Just a way to buy more fabric !!!
    Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Count me in as well, I also have a lot of quilt books and liked some so much I ended up with 2 copies because I forgot I already had a copy.
    Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Count me in too! I have lots and just ordered 2 more from Amazon! Love to look at the books!
    Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM

Quilt books and magazines are like fabric you can never have too much.
    Old 08-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
    If you find that you have quilt books you'd like to sell Victoriana Quilter has a section on her webpage where you can list them for sale at no charge. http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co.../UsedBooks.htm
    Wow, thank you for sharing this url!
    Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM

NUBQ, I was so glad to see that someone has a collection close to mine. I just have at least 500 shelved in categories, and another 200 that are duplicates. Needless to say, this means that I have learned to buy on eBay well, while I have been dragging my feet in learning to sell. I need the space for fabric though, so intend to bite the bullet and start listing the extras......soon. Maybe by telling everyone, this will inspire me to get busy....
    Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 AM
    Swap Hosts

As I attempt to declutter, my pile of quilting books and magazines were on my list. As much as I love them and will probably continue to buy them, they must go ... so I listed them all on Etsy.