Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying a whole roll of batting--tips? >
  • Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

• Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM

I have also purchased rolls of batting on line from Joannes. Seems when it is on sale, the stores are always out of stock. I keep them in the plastic they are delivered in, and stand in the corner of my closet.It adds up to quite a savings
    Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Cool

I store it in the same bag that it came in
    I have it laid on my king size bed with my cardboard under the end with measurements on it so I can cut a straight line. I bought mine at Joann's with the 50% off coupon back when it was $30.00 a roll. I bought 4 rolls of the regular and 1 roll of batting for use in baby quilts. I still have 1 full big one and 1 big baby roll and 1/2 of another big one left. This is what I did about 3 yrs ago.
    I would say that the $120.00 I spent then has served me well in the past 3 years. I don't know how much it costs to buy a kingsize batting, but I would say that I have saved a considerable amount of money over the past 3 yrs. I have also enlarged my stash with money saved by buying it that way.

I purchased a wooden stand that was made to hold 2 rolls of batting. when I get my room up and everything in it my batt rolls will be on it with a plastic covering it to protect it from dust. I can't justify a trip to Minot 2 hr round trip for a pkg of batting when I need it. It also helps that I have a 2 story house that I have 2 rooms upstairs with a lot of my stash and my batting in. If I could get up the stairs and had a bathroom up there I would not even think of adding a room on. so hopefully this dh I got will get started on it soon. The porch is now gone and need some gravel put there so that I can put concrete down.

Last edited by amyjo; 10-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM

If it does not come in a plastic bag, can't you make a pillowcase-type tube from old sheets to keep it clean? I thought about making a bag from a plastic drop cloth, but it might have chemicals that you don't want.
    Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 PM

I only buy my batting by the 40 yard roll. I keep mine in the box in the garage. My sewing room has a door to the garage and living here in California, my garage never freezes and is accessible all the time.
    Never had any bugs or anything get into it

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM

I keep my rolls in plastic bags bungee cord secured. Since I have a HQ I keep the bolls flat on the floor behind my HQ. I learned not to put the roll up on end as the batting begins to slide down and distort a bit.
    I don't want it stored in my garage as I want it clean and bug free.
    I have a very sturdy homemade [by a friend] table for my HQ and I have a day bed without the trundle under that table. Thus the batting goes behind it all. I tend to wait til I have a few tops finished and then measure the batting for them all at the same time.
    Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 AM

We buy rolls of Pellon batting at Joanns when it is $99 on sale. They never have a lot and it is wise to call to save a trip. I also strangely found 8 rolls at Tuesday Morning for $89 on sale. However, this is a rare thing. My friend who quilts our charity quilts loves it.

We cut whatever dimension gives us the most efficient use and then iron out the crease.
    Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Mine is stored in a hall closet. I wait until Joann's has the 10% or 15% off entire purchase. The roll of batting is almost always on sale at that time and that's when I get it.
    Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Have you tried here? I don't know if this is any cheaper.

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/QUIL...prod_2471.html
    Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 AM

I just buy 8-10 yards at a time and keep it in the closet in my LA room, but the lady who taught me to quilt put her roll on the bottom roller on her LA. She just rolls out how much she needs and cuts it off.
    Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 AM

I have bought whole bolts of Warm & Natural at Jo Ann's. I just call first and make sure they have one in a sealed box, otherwise they have to measure the whole darn thing