Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying a whole roll of batting--tips? >
  • Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

• Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 AM

I buy a whole roll with a Joann's coupon at half price whenever I need batting. It stands in the guest room closet where the cats don't share their hair. I just roll it out on the bed and cut off what I need plus enough more to do a table runner. It is necessary to have more than the actual size and by cutting off 20" or more than the exact cut, I usually have enough for other small projects. Last time I was getting close to the end I asked in my store if they had a roll. They didn't but by the time the right coupon came they had one their for me. A friend of mine has taken advantage of reduced shipping days.
    Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 AM

Great responses to this thread! My quilting frame accommodates up to king size, so two rolls can be stored on the fourth rail. One is Warm and Natural and the other is 20/80 batting. I also have a roll of wool batting (it came stored in a plastic bag); this one is kept in the corner; that one is for family only, smile. I also have packages of precut batting of different kinds....always bought on sale! When I use 90 inch wide batting, I cut enough length to do a baby quilt, and this will yield enough for two charity baby quilts.
    Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 AM

I always but my batting by the roll , I made a lge plain calico bag with a drawstring top to put it in , it cost a couplke of dollars to make and I have used it over and over again keeps it dust free and clean.
    Old 10-03-2013, 03:26 AM

I store mine in a corner, standing on end in a big utility bucket like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homer-Buc...3#.Uk1UL2TFQ0c
    And then I cover the top with a really large plastic bag to keep the dust off.
    Old 10-03-2013, 04:30 AM

Sweetana3

I have been using warm and natural but have been looking at the pellong batting. Do you like it and how does it hold up?
    Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 AM

I have bought whole rolls in the past from Hobbs, but the shipping is really out of this world. I would store the roll in a plastic bag, on a stand in the corner of my sewing room. My long arm machine does not have a roll for putting the batting on the machine. I did find it was cheeper since I just cut the batting to the size I needed where precuts sizes almost never was right. Good luck with what you decide to do.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 AM

I don't have room to store a whole roll of batting but would buy one if I did. I am using Hobbs 80/20 for the first time with my current project and am really happy with it so far. This quilt has both machine and hand quilting and it seems easy to hand quilt. I chose this because I wanted a little bit of loft. The quilt on my bed is all cotton, is heavy and is sometimes dampy feeling.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 AM

Using a 40/50% off coupon I buy batting (Warm & Natural/white) by the roll, store upright in box it comes in in closet. When I need batting I take out of box, roll out amount needed on guest bed and cut. I love having it when I need it and not having to run to the store!
    Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 AM

I lucked out and caught the batting roll on sale and % off coupon for total purchase at Joann's store. I store it standing in the corner where my longarm is. Whenever I need it I take it out of the bag, lay it on the floor, measure and cut, then store it back in the bag.
    Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 AM

I buy the whole roll too. The roll hangs on the wall using closet rod brackets and a rod through the middle. It's just high enough above my sewing desk to unroll the needed amount and cut it. I waited for a 50% off coupon and $5 shipping. I have a 2' x 4' piece of fabric I throw over it to keep dust & pet hair off.
    Attached Thumbnails 001-800x533-.jpg