Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying a whole roll of batting--tips? >
  • Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

• Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM

I bought a roll from a Joann's sale last fall. I store at the home of a lady that taught me to quilt. She lives close by and has a basement, finished, devoted to all things quilting. I left it in the box, on the floor, and when I need some I just cut, with scissors, the size I need. Not hard and I know I always have it and I got great stuff at 1/2 off.
    Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM

I buy by the roll, wait for the coupon and last roll I bought was thru Jo Ann's when they had free shipping and it was 40 % off . As for cutting, I unroll and measure with a tape approx. how much I will need and then cut with a ruler and rotary cutter on top of my cutting table. It is way cheaper if you buy by the roll .
    Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM

I store mine ,covered with plastic,standing upright in a corner of the basement. The kids call it the " mummy".
    Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 AM

My sits in my son's old laundry basket (metal with wheels - that one of his friends had sat on and bent it). I have it lined with a clean garbage bag and covered with a clear plastic bag - it sits on end, just perfectly in the basket. I had bought it at JoAnns with a coupon.
    Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM

I bought a whole roll from JoAnn's of W&N and it came in a box. I have it stored in the box under my drafting table. When it gets down to a reasonable diameter, I'll move it to the closet and get a large plastic cover for it, top & bottom, to keep it from getting dusty.
    Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

I keep mine standing upright in it's box, in a corner of my laundry room. It's a bit of a pain to slide it out on the floor and cut off what I need, but not as big a pain as running to the store and paying twice as much every time I'm ready to quilt a top!
    Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM

I had mine hanging from the ceiling on a rod. It works great and it was out of the way plus not taking up any floor space.
    Old 10-05-2013, 11:59 AM

I have bought half a roll of batting in the past and to store it I put clear plastic recycle bags over it. It stands in the guestroom/ my sewing room closet.

Last edited by My time; 10-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 PM

I buy Hobbs 80/20 by the roll from Marshall's Drygoods in Batesville, Arkansas. With shipping it comes out to about $4.00 a yard I think. It is 96" wide and 30 yards long. Lasts me about a year as a rule. My son hung mine up in my fabric room. I love it and it was very inexpensive and easy for him to do. If you have anyplace you can hang it you won't be disappointed in how handy it is. Sorry, I haven't learned how to get the photos right side up when I pull them from dropbox.
    Attached Thumbnails 20131005_153434.jpg  
    Old 10-05-2013, 01:31 PM
    pw6

I always buy the big rolls of batting, you save enough money to make many quilts from one roll and it is nice and clean rolls and I just add extra to fit on my quilter so I do not run short when I fit it on the rollers but if you are hand or machine quilting on a small area at a time just take your 144" tape rule and stand up the full roll and cut straight down, you may lose 6" or so but you would lose that much either way. good luck.