Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets >
  • C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets

• C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets

Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
    Power Poster

I've been playing around with foil. Make a template of the applique (I use card stock or card board or you can even use layers of freezer paper) I always label the template of the applique on one side for later use. Cover the other side and of course wrap the edges in foil. Press the edges of fabric onto the applique The heat will help the applique to hold it's shape after it has cooled and you can remove the template. then press again where it's needed No glue is needed. If the foil comes apart no problem just get more foil. I press the edges around the template as I go. No cutting the back of the fabric and no residue. Like I said, just playing around with it and it's working for me. Itried to do a tute and just am tech challenge.

Last edited by tessagin; 01-08-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Small change in instruction
    Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 AM

I'm so glad to find out that many of you do not cut the backing when using freezer paper appliqué. I thought I was being too picky and was one of the only ones who did not like to cut the backing. I use the starch and iron method and then remove the freezer paper. Works great and is compatible with my mild OCD. lol
    Sue
    Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM

I have not tried this but I only cut the back when I have multiple layers build up. If you are just doing the one layer on top of your background, I don't think there is a need to cut the backing out either.

A friend of mine does beautiful applique using the method of starching the seam allowance back and then removing the paper. It stays in place very well but then she is doing hand applique to the background.
    Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
    I have not tried this but I only cut the back when I have multiple layers build up. If you are just doing the one layer on top of your background, I don't think there is a need to cut the backing out either.

A friend of mine does beautiful applique using the method of starching the seam allowance back and then removing the paper. It stays in place very well but then she is doing hand applique to the background.
    cool. Well I ordered some water soluble paper and will starch the fabric severely. I think that combined with cutting away the majority of the paper after I get the edges turned will keep it smooth, and I think maybe add some 505 spray to hold it in place while I stitch it to the quilt top might just work. Washing should take out the remaining paper (water soluble) that I leave in to hold the edges. I hope...