Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Calculating Fabric I Needed >
  • Calculating Fabric I Needed

• Calculating Fabric I Needed

Old 09-09-2017, 10:11 AM

I recently figured out what I needed for a quilt, and then made a change to the pattern when changed the basic block from 9" to 16" - in effect halving the quantity I needed for the size quilt. But I forgot that part and cut and sewed and ended up with twice as many strips as I needed. I was using 6 color ways and figured 6 of each, but I only needed three of each.
    Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 PM

As Barbie exclaimed, "Math is hard." I have done that myself. I don't mind when it's batik fabrics but oh, how I hate it when it is a printed fabric. I'm a batiks gal and can always use more.
    Old 09-09-2017, 05:46 PM

So true! No doubt, you will see new, creative ways to use this fabric.
    Old 09-10-2017, 06:17 AM

If you have difficulty figuring out yardage needed, use graph paper (plan one square to equal one inch) and draw the pieces needed for a block or two or maybe three (if several different colors needed). This should show you how many blocks you can get out of 1/4 or 1/3 yard (approx). Then multiply that for how ever many blocks you will need and it will give you a much closer yardage requirement. Remember to keep in mind grain lines and seam allowances. But, even if the budget is tight, add a bit extra for problems or miscalculations. Having a great stash is a good thing, but I understand trying to stay within a budget!
    Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Once I get past my 10 fingers and toes, I'm lost at math. I hated any kind of math in school and college. I graphed a dresden quilt for my brother's Christmas. Thot I double checked etc.

Low and behold, I'm a yard short of my main fabric for the borders. I didn't want to change my original design so I went to several stores until I found a match. It got kind of frantic after the first few stores, but luckily I did find the material.

Needless to say, I bought an extra yard in case I messed up with the math again!
    Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 AM

Have you considered using a fabric calculator? There are several available. I use Robert Kaufman's app. Downloaded on my phone.
    Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rvsfan
    I learned a very expensive lesson. I needed 7 different fabrics. I calculated what I needed of each. Got home, did my cutting. Oh no, I have tons of fabric left over. Lots of dollars going into stash, which I did not need on my tight budget. Obviously, need to learn math.
    For my first quilt, I purchased the Southwest Fabric I fell in love with and now I have started that quilt and short 2.5 yards. I have hunted high and low ... apparently it's OOP. I have searched Etsy, Pinterest and Craftsy. Now it's just junk fabric.
    Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boston Mom
    For my first quilt, I purchased the Southwest Fabric I fell in love with and now I have started that quilt and short 2.5 yards. I have hunted high and low ... apparently it's OOP. I have searched Etsy, Pinterest and Craftsy. Now it's just junk fabric.
    Post a picture in the 'wanted' section. One of us may have some.

I recently cut out my Labyrinth quilt. I was a yard short on the background fabric, but decided to cut it anyway, thinking I would get creative with some of the corners. I don't have to. I cut it all out with a 2" strip of fabric to spare. That is a large miscalculation on the patternmaker's part.
    Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 AM

Why not make a piano key border to use up the fabrics? Or, you can piece all the leftover fabrics and use it for your backing since it will all be coordinated with the front.
    Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
    Much better to have too much than be short!!
    I was always buying one yard of sale fabric. Once I used one yard and ended up with only 1/2 inch of fabric. That is tooooo close. I had spent hours online and visiting LQS for a matching fabric in case I ran out (I had made up the pattern, so had no idea, really, of amount needed. So now I always buy 2 yards of sale fabric, just in case.