Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Calling All Collectors of Vintage/Antique Quilts >
  • Calling All Collectors of Vintage/Antique Quilts

• Calling All Collectors of Vintage/Antique Quilts

Old 05-29-2010, 01:59 PM

I have an affinity for all things vintage/antique...especially quilts. Over the past few years I have made some wonderful finds on Ebay. I seem drawn to quilts of the 1930's and 1940's. My goal is to only buy unwashed quilts that have been both handpieced and handquilted. I continue to be in awe of the fine handwork...mostly 10-12 SPI!!!!!(I'm struggling to consistently get 8 SPI.) The seller have often shared the history of the quilt, which is important to me. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find these treasures.
    I would enjoy hearing from fellow quilters who also collect. Has Ebay been a quilt source for you? Do you actually use your treasures?
    Busy Hands...Happy Hearts
    Patricia
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 PM
    Google Goddess

have you looked at antique stores, I found one the other day for $45.00 was very old, but didn't buy it
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    have you looked at antique stores, I found one the other day for $45.00 was very old, but didn't buy it
    Wow, what a find!!! The pricing on quality quilts in antique stores in my are are way, way out of my price range. I live in Yorktown Heights, NY which is about 40 minutes north of NYC.
    Patricia
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM

I usually see them at quilt shows. I just bought 2 tops recently at a local quilt show. Yes, I am going to finish them and use them. I do look on ebay but have not bought any there yet. I was told to check flea markets and yard sales, which I have not done yet. You can also look on etsy.com, they have vintage fabrics and quilts for sale.
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
    Google Goddess

also look at flea markets and rummage sales, estate sales, goodwill stores etc. have fun
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
    I usually see them at quilt shows. I just bought 2 tops recently at a local quilt show. Yes, I am going to finish them and use them. I do look on ebay but have not bought any there yet. I was told to check flea markets and yard sales, which I have not done yet. You can also look on etsy.com, they have vintage fabrics and quilts for sale.
    If you buy on Ebay, be advised that sellers(dealers) vary greatly in how they weigh their words...what's "mint" to one is "fair" by another's standards. I learned the hard way!!!
    Patricia
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM

A couple of years ago, when I was single, paying two mortgages and out of work, I sold most of my quilt collection on eBay. (and my dishes, and my depression glass... lucky for me I had good sense in collecting.) I have also bought a few tops. And yes, my advice would be to ask for as many pictures as you can, and for the top to be laid flat in a pic, if that's what your buying. I have one I purchased that will never quilt flat. I use ebay daily- Read the feedback, deal with people who have good feedback, and ask for details if there aren't enough. If they don't want to send more pics or details, move on.
    Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Just last weekend I bought 6 quilts and 2 quilt tops at an estate auction. The highest priced one was a full size double wedding ring in excellent shape and was $65.00. One is a sunbonnet sue that the binding is completely worn off and some of the hand buttonhole stitching is gone but it is beautiful. I am going to repair it and use it. One is what they called a cutter quilt. Not sure what that means bus I am not going to cut it up. It is a grandmothers flower garden and several of the rings have completely disappeared but I am going to cover the whole thing with tulle. I guess I am a collector now, huh? I am going to finish the grandmother flower garden that is the top only and give it to one of my girls.
    Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    Just last weekend I bought 6 quilts and 2 quilt tops at an estate auction. The highest priced one was a full size double wedding ring in excellent shape and was $65.00. One is a sunbonnet sue that the binding is completely worn off and some of the hand buttonhole stitching is gone but it is beautiful. I am going to repair it and use it. One is what they called a cutter quilt. Not sure what that means bus I am not going to cut it up. It is a grandmothers flower garden and several of the rings have completely disappeared but I am going to cover the whole thing with tulle. I guess I am a collector now, huh? I am going to finish the grandmother flower garden that is the top only and give it to one of my girls.
    You are definitely a collector!!! I think it is wonderful that you are rescuing the GFG quilt.
    Patricia
    Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
    A couple of years ago, when I was single, paying two mortgages and out of work, I sold most of my quilt collection on eBay. (and my dishes, and my depression glass... lucky for me I had good sense in collecting.) I have also bought a few tops. And yes, my advice would be to ask for as many pictures as you can, and for the top to be laid flat in a pic, if that's what your buying. I have one I purchased that will never quilt flat. I use ebay daily- Read the feedback, deal with people who have good feedback, and ask for details if there aren't enough. If they don't want to send more pics or details, move on.
    It is unfortunate that you had to part with your treasure; yet fortunate that you had such treasures that rescued you in a time of need! I trust the purchasers appreciate the quilts.
    Patricia