Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Calling all Quilters, need help please! >
  • Calling all Quilters, need help please!

• Calling all Quilters, need help please!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Just finished a t-shirt quilt for a friend's daughter...LOTS of size differences (several sizes of shirts!!)...so I used some smaller designs from the front of the shirt (the ones on the left side-small logo, etc), and put them together with sashing, and added to the smaller designs.. The daughter is thrilled...that I got more than the "big designs" incorporated...some blocks have "sashings" to make them the right size, before the "real sashing" gets added...I have done them by adding a coordinating color for the smaller design to make the block as large as your largest block before sashing...
    Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Add borders to all the smaller sq's so it's the size of your biggest square. Add stabilizer to the backs then put them all together.
    Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM

I like the placement that you have going. Just frame each one, maybe less on the larger ones.
    Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Just add extra sashing to the smaller pieces to make it fit.
    Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 PM

You can also save the backs of the t-shirts for the backing of your quilt.
    Old 07-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Find the largest block, add a narrow sashing to it...make sure it's "squared" up (measures correctly). This square gives you the needed size for all other squares. You can combine two smaller squares, using a narrow sashing between, if they will equal this size when they have an outter sashing. When all the blocks are sashed and measure the same size, join them. you can use a different color outter sashing to seperate the blocks, or you can let them seem to "float" on the sashing (sashing becomes a background).
    There are some good pics on webshots.com

Originally Posted by Ghetohound
    Hello everyone,

This is my second quilt and i'm running into an issue. I will be as short as possible.

I'm making a t-shirt quilt for my daughter. I have already cut all the shirts and the problem i'm running into is that some of her shirts were very small in the width and others were larger. I cut all the shirts (width) as large as possible and left the length on all of them.

The smallest is 13 inches, the largest is 16. Each shirt has at least 1/2 inch on each side (pattern to pattern). I plan on using sashing in between the rows, but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this.

Am I doing this right?

Anyone???
    Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Actually, the way you have them in the photo is perfect..I'd sash the three center pieces as one..sashing between ...let that be your main block...sash the others to fit around it, just as you have them laid out.

Hello everyone,

This is my second quilt and i'm running into an issue. I will be as short as possible.

I'm making a t-shirt quilt for my daughter. I have already cut all the shirts and the problem i'm running into is that some of her shirts were very small in the width and others were larger. I cut all the shirts (width) as large as possible and left the length on all of them.

The smallest is 13 inches, the largest is 16. Each shirt has at least 1/2 inch on each side (pattern to pattern). I plan on using sashing in between the rows, but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this.

Am I doing this right?

Anyone???
    Old 07-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Hello everyone,

Am I doing this right?

Anyone???
    This problem is like the one you have when you are using fabric that has animals, scenes, etc, of different sizes and you cut them apart. When you have that, you add what are called coping strips to equalize the sizes of the blocks. Be sure to stabilize your t-shirt pieces and then add a strip of fabric that will coordinate with the t-shirt (blue for blue lettering for example) that will make the small pieces as big you want them. When you get all that done, sash all the blocks. froggyintexas
    Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 PM

These are easier to sew if you do use the sashing. On the smaller cuts you can always decorate the sashing with her name flowers or whatever to bring that center together. and just use the same size sashing on the rest.or different colored around those small ones.
    Old 07-02-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm not sure who it was, meant to save it and didn't, but there was a quilter on this board that had made 2 quilts, one for her son and the other for her daughter. The technique she used for her son's, the sashing made the blocks appear 3-D. Very nicely done. Maybe she will post again????