Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can anyone help me create a unique french braid quilt? >
  • Can anyone help me create a unique french braid quilt?

• Can anyone help me create a unique french braid quilt?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Has anyone used the book called "French Braid Obsession?" I've only seen the cover. Asked my library to obtain on interlibrary loan, so I can SEE it first before I purchase one. I've bought too many, "You can't tell a book by it's cover." SO, any reviews would be appreciated.
    Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 PM
    Power Poster

Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Glad you joined us :lol:

Hope you are getting the help you need :thumbup:
    Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
    Has anyone used the book called "French Braid Obsession?" I've only seen the cover. Asked my library to obtain on interlibrary loan, so I can SEE it first before I purchase one. I've bought too many, "You can't tell a book by it's cover." SO, any reviews would be appreciated.
    The French Braid in my avatar was made from the same author's other book, French Braid Quilts. Great book. I have the French Braid Obsession too. I bought it after I made this quilt. It's got a Christmas Tree Skirt I'm going to make. I've already got the fabric for it, just can't think Christmas when it's 95 degrees out! LOL

Is there something in particular you want to know about the book?
    Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 PM

No particular detail except "real" people's opinion. I appreciate your encouraging postives on the book. I appreciate hearing someone's experiences before I buy stuff, without seeing the actual product. Since interlibrary loan can be months, I WANTED to go ahead and buy it...but do want to hear something of other's reactions. Think I'll go ahead now. I already bought a jelly roll and some yardage of some of the fabrics...NO idea what would be needed, so maybe did not get enough, etc. But when you see a group you really like, welllll....you know! ; - D It was Moda's Shades of Blue (has bluebonnets)...cream, butter, violet blue, black...bought extra yardage of these except the butter... Hope will work out. I LOVE YOUR QUILT! Have you seen the ones with the large square in center of each panel...and "rays" (looks like feathers to me) pointed towards top/bottom of quilt. SO PRETTY! I know I'll need the book though, or will just ruin a bunch of fabric. I am a beginner! Only have completed a few baby quilts... WANT to make "feather" quilt for my sweetheart. Something western-feeling...He's from TX, bluebonnets...
    Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM

I had not heard of French Braid quilts, I still am a 'newbie', so at JoAnn's today I found the book French Braid Obsession, and purchased it with a 40% off coupon. I have already started choosing colors from my stash.........so excited to start. The instructions look so clear.....I highly recommend the book.
    Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Really sounds good to me! You are the third person who has let me know they do have it...and love it. I did buy a jelly roll and some yardage of a few favorites in the bunch. Not sure IF I even bought reasonable amounts...but seem to wait till things are unavailable to start projects...and cannot find fabric then. So, this time did take a shot in the dark to start to prepare. Yes, I'm going to purchase this book. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RECOMMENDATION! I truly do appreciate the help! Blessings!
    Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Of course, after logging off, I got the new book out, and some from my stash, cut and sewed, instead of going to bed. I am even more excited to make a quilt using French Braid.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-89312.jpe  
    Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 AM

Looks great RoxanneS! It's so easy to make too!

Cimarron - I had a hard time choosing a pattern because I liked them all! I do like the one with the center square and will probably make more once I finish up some of the many projects I've started/cut out.

A suggestion to anyone making it. Line up your fabrics and take pictures. Then look at the pics for awhile before you start cutting. You might end up moving or replacing a few in order to keep the "flow" going.
    Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 AM

I also have 'French Braid Obsession'. I haven't actually made a French Braid yet ( on my to-do list) so I can't tell you how well the directions are, but I can tell you it's a great book to sit and dream over. Beautiful quilts!
    Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 AM

I started to order last night, but know she has out two on french braid. Which of the two should I order. I can kind of describe what I want to make, and please can someone tell me which of the two to order please. I want to make the one with the LARGE square, which fills the width of the panel, placed in the center of the panel...with the "little" squares used as "points moving" towards to top and bottom borders of the quilt. I don't know if that makes any sense. Any help will be greatly appreciated.