Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can anyone identify these patterns and tell me what they are worth. >
  • Can anyone identify these patterns and tell me what they are worth.

• Can anyone identify these patterns and tell me what they are worth.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:48 AM

Because cedar chests exude oil, I would definitely wrap them to prevent transfer of the oil to the fabric.
    Old 10-26-2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Take your quilts to a quilt shop. You will get the best advice about the quality of the quilts, the name of the quilt pattern, and how a good ball park of sell price.
    I have gotten some very bad advice from a quilt shop. They have a business, but not all are knowledgeable.
    Old 10-26-2019, 08:06 AM
    Power Poster

If you are talking about those leaflets they sold long ago on how to make quilts, I have seen them on ebay for around 4 dollars each. The reason being is they are the old style quilt making with templets. Most people do not have the patience for that anymore with all of the new techniques and rulers, it is very antiquated information. Do you see what I mean?
    Old 10-26-2019, 08:24 AM

If talking about quilts, I think the question really is, what can you get for them? Alas, quilts are undervalued and most often you won't be able to sell them for what they're worth.
    Old 10-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Something the Original Poster can check -- do you have a Craig's List for your area or similar "Next Door" or whatever? You can look there to see what people are offering at what costs. There is a section for arts and crafts, or you can just type in "quilt" in the general search field.

I'm in the Seattle area and we are all pretty much computer driven but I understand just like my thrift stores are better than most, my community participation in such things is higher than most.
    Old 10-26-2019, 02:19 PM
    Power Poster

What I understood from your post is that you want to to know the name of the quilt pattern used to make the quilts. A quilt shop or guild can answer that. If all you expect is $50 and the quilts are in pristine condition then you will easily get $50 on Ebay. I think you will regret selling the quilts when you realize later on what a treasure they really are.
    Old 10-26-2019, 02:50 PM

I think everyone is understanding the original post differently. Hope the original poster comes back to explain more
    Old 10-26-2019, 03:02 PM

It's that thing about a picture is worth a thousand words. It is a fun game to play at quilt camp or whatever, first you describe your fabric and then you show it. Sometimes we get a picture in our heads that is entirely correctly but completely different than the real object.

Hope you get it figured out, Jenn.
    Old 10-26-2019, 05:52 PM
    Power Poster

I think she's asking about the price of quilts, not patterns.
    Old 10-27-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    I think she's asking about the price of quilts, not patterns.
    I agree. If they were just patterns the names would probably be on them. She's wanting to know what to call the quilts. Jenn, I hope you come back with pictures. Please don't sell them without knowing what you have. Look online for a quilt show in your area. Some have appraisal services. It's important to write down your grandmother's name and location and the time frame when she made the quilts and any other information. Buyers like to know these things, and it increases the value if you have that provenance.

Applique quilts with tulips were often made from patterns that were printed in newspapers, particularly Kansas City Star quilt patterns, but there is no way to guess without a picture. The diamond pattern could be from that source, too, but there were many other possibilities, and many traditional patterns. If you're still struggling with pictures, one thing you could try is googling images of tulip quilts or diamond quilts. Possibly the exact design could turn up, but more likely you will just see how many possibilities there are. EBay - completed auctions, not "buy-it-now", might give you some clue about what the market will bear.

Last edited by Rose_P; 10-27-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo