Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can anyone be This organized? >
  • Can anyone be This organized?

• Can anyone be This organized?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:01 PM

About 10 years ago, I started to keep track of my fabric. That lasted about 2 months -- I was spending more time trying to record all the information and not enough time quilting. I sort my fabric loosely by color (the prints give me fits so I try to sort those by flowers, kids, etc) and even then I start to feel the OCD kicking in and call a halt to organizing. So -- no I don't think I need to be that organized.
    Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 AM
    Power Poster

Nah.... I'm a quilter, not a bookkeeper! Just enjoy your messy creativity!
    Old 06-26-2014, 04:03 AM

JoAnn's has catalogs in their store with the names and colors of THEIR fabrics, BUT you need to keep the receipt for the fabric code number.

I've also tried to keep enough of the selvage with the print on it and the colors... that may help with LQS's in their inventory.

BUT now I just buy about 1/2 yd. more of what I'm buying and then have enough and never run out.

Next quilt may or may not have or need the same fabric. Go scrapy!

Good luck.
    Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 AM

I'm with you. No matter what I have in my stash I always seem to need another piece when I start a project. My goal now is to use up my stash. I was collecting it for my retirement but seems that won't ever happen. But, returning to the subject.....working full time, keeping a house and yard....no time for that type of record keeping.
    Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 AM

I've tried to get this organized...didn't take...it's like the shopping lists I make and can't find when I get to the store...
    Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM

I like the idea of having to solve a problem being an opportunity for creativity. As to keeping track of what fabric, when i bought it, where I bought it, etc., that just does not happen around here. I keep telling myself that there will be more "ooh, that is perfect for ...." fabric website/store/whatever just around the next turn. And, you know, there seems to be. Solace in that.

The above mantras have to do with the fact that my stash and my stuff are about to move me out of my sewing room. It is so bad that my "get rid of it, give it away, what are you keeping THAT for?" husband voluntarily offered to empty the closet in his office for my use. (We will not discuss the theoretical garage and his tools and woodworking equipment and my sideways slide to do the laundry.) When he made the closet offer, his hair blew as I graciously accepted.

How wonderful you all are.

Par

My vote is to do what feels right and works for you. Some of the many reasons I love quilting and people who quilt
    Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by w1613s
    I like the idea of having to solve a problem being an opportunity for creativity. As to keeping track of what fabric, when i bought it, where I bought it, etc., that just does not happen around here. I keep telling myself that there will be more "ooh, that is perfect for ...." fabric website/store/whatever just around the next turn. And, you know, there seems to be. Solace in that.

The above mantras have to do with the fact that my stash and my stuff are about to move me out of my sewing room. It is so bad that my "get rid of it, give it away, what are you keeping THAT for?" husband voluntarily offered to empty the closet in his office for my use. (We will not discuss the theoretical garage and his tools and woodworking equipment and my sideways slide to do the laundry.) When he made the closet offer, his hair blew as I graciously accepted.

How wonderful you all are.

Par

My vote is to do what feels right and works for you. Some of the many reasons I love quilting and people who quilt
    Love it! When I did most of the work to clean, Drywall and organize the basement for my studio, (after all clients and customers want to see where I work), they now have to walk around all the juice pails and his wine and beer making paraphernalia. He says its so much cleaner and warmer in the winter.
    I'm sure some wonder if I'm a lush!
    MK
    Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 AM
    Power Poster

What I find easy is to take a photo from my mobile and send myself a message with a short note and put it into a folder. It will have the date.
    Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 AM

I shop online at ETSY.com and usually buy only Moda fabric so I know where it comes from.
    Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 AM

I used to try and write down how many yards of what I bought, but then I would use some of the yardage and not make a note of how much was left. I'm presently in the process of reorganizing my fabrics, again; am doing it by color as this seems to be how I end up looking for what to use in a project. I have many OOP fabrics from many many years ago that I just fell in love with and they are still waiting to be used. I still love them, but...