Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can anyone be This organized? >
  • Can anyone be This organized?

• Can anyone be This organized?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    Keeping that information has never been important to me. By the time I use fabric from my stash it probably is no longer produced anyway. If I don't have enough of a specific fabric I find something else to use or coordinate with what I want to use. I would rather spend my time sewing. I just feel good that my fabric is ruler folded, in drawers and sorted by color.
    These are my thoughts as well....(although my fabric is in clear bins, and this works for me right now)
    Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
    We all have a stash of varying size and age. Time and time again when I use the last bit of a particular fabric I wonder if I can get more. But I have no idea where or when I bought it. I just shove FQ in drawers and hunt when I want something.
    Does anyone really keep track, ie photos, manufacturer, store, fabric, name, notations in a book etc. Would it be that difficult or should I just enjoy the random shopping sprees. It would require tremendous discipline. Just the thought of it hurts.
    MK
    oh you bet they do...or have!
    I did exactly what you are describing, down to the letter for several years.
    You know what?
    All I did mostly, was waste time...precious time, and lots of it.
    I was going gang busters on OCD behaviors and when i got a new sewing/playroom,
    I lost track of what was coming in etc. and one day,
    I said, "self? are you one bit worse off, for it?"
    The answer was no.
    I do like to know how big a piece is, and if possible, NOW, i kind of like knowing
    how old it is.
    If it came from a quilt shop, it is most likely on the selvedge, if not, then I have
    discovered it's not that important to me.
    Joann's, Hobby Lobby etc. are easier to replace or add to, than lqs fabrics, so
    why bother?
    I have three spiral notebooks filled with receipts and little snippets taped to the
    pages, with tons of handwritten descriptions.
    All that information was traded for many, many hours I could have been much
    more productive and happier.
    I gave it up, and I don't miss being that organized one bit.
    I consider myself to be in recovery!
    Old 06-26-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    Keeping that information has never been important to me. By the time I use fabric from my stash it probably is no longer produced anyway. If I don't have enough of a specific fabric I find something else to use or coordinate with what I want to use. I would rather spend my time sewing. I just feel good that my fabric is ruler folded, in drawers and sorted by color.
    Someone, please tell me "What is Ruler Folded?" I have seen that phrase before and got curious.
    Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 AM

Nope, I don't need or want to be that organized, just think of the time I have to sew instead of organize. I never keep receipts for any fabrics either.
    Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    Nope, I don't need or want to be that organized, just think of the time I have to sew instead of organize. I never keep receipts for any fabrics either.
    receipts?...evidence, lol!
    Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 AM

My stash is sorted loosely by color and I have Christmas fabrics together. I have some together in project bags and all are "fit in the container folded". Anything else is enjoyment and time sucking so not doing it. I love JaninVA's gentle advice-open the doors and windows to creative opportunities! Besides in education there are mountains of record keeping, paper trailing, evaluating, statistics recording- can't imagine bringing all that into my stress relief, creative activities
    Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by GranJanNM
    Someone, please tell me "What is Ruler Folded?" I have seen that phrase before and got curious.

Here you go
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t249115.html
    Old 06-27-2014, 05:53 AM

I don't keep receipts but I do track my hobby spending. My Credit Union's home banking software has great budgeting tools, I've created a custom category for "sewing/fabric" and flag all of my quilting-related expenses with that category. I have it set up so that my AMEX credit card's transactions are automatically uploaded to that site as well, so my complete spending profile is all right there. I set it up so that when I log in, one of the first things I see is a graph showing my spending in that category for each month, over the last 6 months. That, more than anything, helps me decide maybe I DON'T need any more fabric in my stash! It really adds up fast!

I buy a LOT of fabric from Fabric.com and they keep order history under my account there. So that helps if I need to figure out what a certain fabric was too.
    Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

I'm definitely not that organized at all. I feel good if my previously organized fabric, organized by type - Christmas - red/white/blue, etc. manage to stay in their own tote, but sometimes the fabrics run away from home.
    Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    No I don't have the need to be that organized! It would be a hassle for me to keep track of each fabric. I don't really care where I bought a particular fabric or the design name. If I don't have enough of it I'll find some I like just as much and buy enough of that.
    ditto that is time that could be used sewing/quilting not keeping books