Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • can this be done? ... and be comfortable >
  • can this be done? ... and be comfortable

• can this be done? ... and be comfortable

Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM

A 2 sided duvet cover is very heavy with a cheap fluffy comforter inside. 4 sides would be even heavier. But it could be done. I'd do flat fel seams, though, rather than French seams.
    Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 PM

My bed, right now, has a flannel sheet set, an empty duvet cover- (two layers of flannel), a flannel quilt (top and backing is flannel--batting is two thick poly layers), and a regular quilt on top! Granted, we keep the bedroom very cold, but I wouldn't worry about the weight.
    Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about weight either. I think I sleep normally with 2-4 blankets/quilts on ,y side of the bed! (in the winter)
    Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM

I work for a big up market linen company , we have had double sided covers for a couple
    years they are one of our biggest sellers , don't know about 4 sides would not be easy
    keeping all four even , and quite hot to sleep under.
    I quite often buy an extra flat sheet and put boarders on my sheet to match my covers .
    Cathy
    Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 AM

How will you wash it?
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR
    My bed, right now, has a flannel sheet set, an empty duvet cover- (two layers of flannel), a flannel quilt (top and backing is flannel--batting is two thick poly layers), and a regular quilt on top! Granted, we keep the bedroom very cold, but I wouldn't worry about the weight.

Brrrrr..as I read this I thought you were writing from the arctic.....( just kidding)....I cannot sleep/live in cold....maybe because growing up the house was cold at night and I have rebelled! I sleep between sheets...cotton...and one quilt made with one layer of W&N....

Could someone please explain the purpose of a duvet? Is it a cover for a comforter? Why?

To make a reversible duvet...why not just make two lovely quilts? JMHO
    Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM

My idea about the purpose of the duvet cover came when my hubby and I purchased a high quality goose down comforter many years ago. It was all we needed for covers - like sleeping under a cloud. Unfortunately, the ticking and goose down aren't supposed to be washed that often, if ever. Detergent and water strips the feathers and makes them less insulative. You put the compforter out to air, and shake it to redistribute the down. Then, we had a duvet cover to protect the comforter. We could take it off and wash as often as we wanted, like we would in changing the sheets. In fact it was our top sheet. It lasted a long time, before I had to make another for our comforter.
    Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM

About the weight issue. Remembering that there is chocolate and vanilla because people differ as to their favorite.

My preference is heavy, heavy, warm, warm all over me when when it's cold outside. My husband is the other end of the spectrum. He does not feel the cold and his toes even fuss if I tuck the sheets in. I am lucky to have a thick quilt. He is diabetic and I think that is part of the difficulty. Anyway, the bed is a king.

So. There is a contraption that fits onto the bottom of the bed, the top sheet and any and all blankets, comforters, quilts, afghans, etc. to be ever so carefully draped over it, keeping weight off delicate toes. Now if you you are like us, see if you can find one that does the bottom of the bed trick but ONLY the appropriate half. His side has a quilt and the contraption on it. Mine has no contraption, the other half of the king-sized quilt layered with something thick and warm and heavy folded in half, lengthwise, on it. I am submerged in warmth from the bottoms of my feet to my sizable nose. He is his version of comfy.

Hurry summer.

P
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Brrrrr..as I read this I thought you were writing from the arctic.....( just kidding)....I cannot sleep/live in cold....maybe because growing up the house was cold at night and I have rebelled! I sleep between sheets...cotton...and one quilt made with one layer of W&N....
    Nope, just from Missouri! I, too, grew up in a house that was cold at night, but I liked it! Often, with all of the covers, even when it is really cold, I sleep with my feet sticking out from under--acts as a regulator!
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:31 PM

A duvet is to protect your comforter. You can remove the duvet cover and launder that much more often than the comforter. We have a down comforter and no way am I going to launder that more than once a year. I made a two-sided pieced duvet a few years ago. I have 90" wide muslin inside and stitched thru the muslin and both the top and the other side thru the muslin. I wanted the muslin to protect all those seam allowances from the pieced top and second top side, when I put the down comforter in and out. Just by itself it's four layers of fabric. That's all I have on the bed for warmth in the summer besides a top and bottom sheet. When the down comforter goes inside, it doesn't feel heavy, but when I need to fluff it and rearrange it on the bed, I notice it is much heavier than the old duvet cover I made that was just two layers of fabric. I'm wondering why you think you need to put a thin batting between your two layers of outer and inner fabric layers? The duvet is a cover not a quilt.