• Main
  • Can it go sideways? >
  • Can it go sideways?

• Can it go sideways?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 AM

I agree with all the above!
    Old 05-31-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne
    If I have directional prints I decide whether I want them all to face the outsides of the quilt, or all face the bottom or each is totally random with figures facing in all directions. What's jarring to me is if all the dogs were to face in one direction except for one lone dog. Although that might be a good design decision too, especially if you were making a "black sheep" quilt.
    Every pack has an Alpha male!

Leave it. If you are laying on the couch you can turn the quilt so all are right side up. Or if it's been a really bad day you can turn them upside down!
    Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM
    Power Poster

Mine are perfectly imperfect. Quilts are sometimes made with mistakes. Sometimes they can get a little out of control. Take the "crazy quilt" for example! It's your quilt. There are no quilt police on the board.
    Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 AM

I went into my quilt photos to see what I tend to do.... If they are small I make them go every which way (often on kid quilts); if it more "formal" (carefully framed like 8" squares of fairies) then I put them all facing the same way (the child can decide which way she wants to put her quilt on her bed, with the fairies facing the same way she is, or towards her); floral quilts with complete flowers I see that I put them by a garden path (facing out on each side) or, when I'm using big florals I cut them so they have no directional elements. Butterflys I put in any direction on the same quilt top.

Bottom line is that every quilt speaks; sometimes it takes longer to understand the message, but if you fiddle with it long enough it will tell you what to do. If there is a REAL RULE about this it should be ignored. Each quilt (and each quilter) are different, thankfully! It helps me to think of the person who will get the quilt (like the fairy child above), or the gardener to whom I'm giving flowers..... Think how boring it would be if there were rules about everything and we all HAD to make our quilts the same!!!!!!!

Last edited by Sierra; 05-31-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM

Why don't you deliberately place them in all directions? Takes the uniformity out of it. I think some prints are imposs. to line up.
    Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 AM

Welcome to the Board- try different ways and remember it is your quilt-be proud of it!
    Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM

I would pay more attention to grain of fabric than I would to which direction the dogs face.
    Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

You could place them facing out toward each border so you could use the quilt from every direction and some would be facing up, left, right, and down no matter how the quilt is turned.
    Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM

I recently made a baby quilt and deliberately turned the directional prints every which way. I figure it will be more interesting for the baby that way.

If it's already pieced and you aren't happy with it as a lap quilt, you could call it a wall hanging and make another. Or, you could rip one seam down the middle and add large borders to make two lap quilts instead, with 42X30 centers.

Whatever you decide, it's your choice, and when you show it to anyone do not point out or apologize for any of it. Everyone will assume you did it according to plan, and they'll love the dogs whichever way they point!
    Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 PM

Stripes are hard for me for the same reason. I just leave them wonky. Though it does catch my eye a lot...