Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can I stop the dye from running? >
  • Can I stop the dye from running?

• Can I stop the dye from running?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 AM

I used to buy cotton fabric in India, and the boldest colors ran - even the yellows. I tried vinegar and salt - neither worked. This was BEFORE Color Grabber sheets, and I didn't know about Synthrapol. I still have the fabric!didn't throw any of that fabric away because the colors were so glorious!

My experience has been that Synthrapol is best, Color Grabbers are 2nd best. But try everything before you give up, Blue! If the color still runs, save it for a wall hanging!

Maybe whoever is sending Blue their center can include a some Color Grabbe sheets!
    Old 08-01-2009, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

To set the dye in the fabric, you can wash it in Retayne. That will permanently set dye into fabric.

For a quilt in which the fabric has already been used, I highly recommend washing with Synthrapol. Synthrapol suspends unset dye particle in the water so they rinse away instead of settling into other fabrics. For a quilt that has already had a "bleed", repeated washings in Synthrapol will often eliminate or at least minimize the bleed.

You ***never*** want to wash a quilt in Retayne. It would set any unwanted bleeds permanently.

Many quilt shops, especially those that cater to dyers, carry Synthrapol and Retayne.
    Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml

i don't know if this is any help to you. but it repeats what some have already said.
    Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I used to buy cotton fabric in India, and the boldest colors ran - even the yellows. I tried vinegar and salt - neither worked. This was BEFORE Color Grabber sheets, and I didn't know about Synthrapol. I still have the fabric!didn't throw any of that fabric away because the colors were so glorious!

My experience has been that Synthrapol is best, Color Grabbers are 2nd best. But try everything before you give up, Blue! If the color still runs, save it for a wall hanging!

Maybe whoever is sending Blue their center can include a some Color Grabbe sheets!
    If the fabrics are pretty much one-color (not wildly variegated colors), try washing them in Retayne rather than Synthrapol. Retayne *sets* dye. Synthrapol merely washes away unset dye.