Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can I use a poly/cotton ( Joann's Symphony) blend in a quilt? >
  • Can I use a poly/cotton ( Joann's Symphony) blend in a quilt?

• Can I use a poly/cotton ( Joann's Symphony) blend in a quilt?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:37 AM

I personally do not like to mix fibers in a quilt. The poly-cotton just doesn't act like cotton and it doesn't wear the same. I think it is obvious.
    Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 AM

I made a Trip Around the World quilt many years ago that had one poly blend in it. It hasn't faded and only I know which one it is. When I was piecing it, I noticed that it didn't cling to the other cottons. It slipped a lot. I would definitely pin when pie.
    Old 12-27-2017, 05:00 AM
    Power Poster

When I first started quilting I used a cotton/poly blend solid because the color was perfect. I didn't enjoy working with it due to the blend not holding a good crease when pressing and in the process of trying to do so I did end up kind of scorching the blend, only it didn't scorch but got a "glaze" in that it turned very shiny on the seam line and that never went away. I suspect I had just barely started melting the poly. The glaze wasn't really that noticeable once the piece was completed but I decided the frustration and lack of cooperation from the fabric was not worth it so I will not use blends again.
    I want my quilting to be an enjoyable experience so I won't waste my time working with fabrics that don't behave the way I want them to, thereby making the experience less pleasurable. JMHO.
    Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

I don't know Joann's policy on returns but I would try to return it if it was in the wrong spot. I don't like to mix fabrics either.
    Old 12-27-2017, 06:15 AM

I have a 50 year old postcard quilt from my grandmother and you can easily tell the blends she used from the cottons. It's the blend that's shredding and disappearing. Believe it or not! But if you don't care what will happen to it in 50 years, why not?
    Old 12-27-2017, 08:20 AM

Don't try to spray baster a poly-cotton mix. At least for me, it was a disaster.

Watson
    Old 12-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Symphony is the thinnest of the Joann's solids. But, you can use whatever fabric you want in any quilt! The only time it is important is if you are entering the quilt in a show. Think back to all the wonderful quilts of yesterday - crazy quilts made up of whatever was available at the time. And, they are gorgeous!. The only concerns I might have would be the various degrees of shrinking with cottons vs. cotton/poly. But, if you prewash everything, that should not be a problem.
    Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM

You can return any fabric to Joanns if you have not 'altered' it by cutting, washing, etc. If you don't have your receipt, it is more difficult and you will only get 50% or 60% of the regular cost because they run so many ads & coupons. With the receipt there is no problem. Take it to the cut counter FIRST to have it remeasured and your receipt marked and then go to the cashier. You can still return fabric if you have altered it if you discover a flaw and other damage, but, they will probably only exchange it for the same fabric. We spend half our days trying to put fabric back in the correct places, but when a customer finds something they prefer, they will often stick the old one in it's place. Please, ALWAYS look at the end of the bolt to assure you have the right one.
    Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog
    I personally do not like to mix fibers in a quilt. The poly-cotton just doesn't act like cotton and it doesn't wear the same. I think it is obvious.
    I agree about mixing fibers in a quilt. The cotton and poly or poly blend have different properties and they do not mix well. I learned the hard way when I quilted a top on my frame for a friend. The cotton laid down very nicely while the poly would not lay flat. I ended up quilting the heck out of the poly fabric so it would lay flat.
    Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Ok I'm going to try to return this fabric. Thanks klswift for the information