Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can I use two colours? >
  • Can I use two colours?

• Can I use two colours?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson
    I thought I had better put this to the experts.

I really would like to make a Log Cabin Quilt, I have a book on various designs, can I use just two fabrics say one patterned fabric and one plain fabric?

If so how much do you think I would need for a Queen Size bed quilt if I used just two fabrics?
    I am making a two color log cabin quilt as I write this for my SIL. She requested red and brown. The colors I chose are cranberry and a deep gold. Both have a design. The pattern I am doing is call "Barn Raising" which lends itself well to the log cabin pattern. This is just a suggestion. This quilt will be 110" square. I purchased 9 yds of the cranberry and 6 yds of the gold. I will use the excess material for pillow shams and maybe a bed ruffle. It will be backed in dark red. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sharon
    Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM
    Power Poster

I made mine in brown and green. I used all different shades of each color. I'm not sure that is what you mean.If you want just 2 colors and only 1 shade of each color it should work too. Mary
    Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM

As others have said, two colors work well with the log cabin pattern. I have made a pink/blue, by request from my DMIL, cranberry/pink, lt grn/orange-gold. I really like darks and lights, though. You can make whatever you like, whatever looks good to you. I used the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin book. It will tell you how much fabric of each, and it is very quick to make. Strip piecing goes really fast and makes a wonderful quilt. Just make sure your blocks are squared up before putting them together.
    Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

I agree with everyone else. Technically you can do anything you want, but my first thought is why do all that piecing when in the end it would be almost the same as just making large half-square triangles.
    Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 PM

I think making a Log Cabin quilt with just 2 colors would be very pretty if you used different shades of the 2 colors, not just each of the 2 colors exactly the same--ie. using blues in hues from light to medium or medium to dark or light to medium to dark. I agree with gayle bong that using the exact same fabric for all the logs would be a lot of work for what would basically end up looking like half-square triangles.
    Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM

I would do a test of a block or four to see if you'll like it. Just from you description and not seeing a picture, i don't think it would be a log cabin.
    Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM

I think different shades in the 2 colours is a nice log cabin. Just using 2 colours only seems a waste of time joining all those seams together
    Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 PM

Instead of Log Cabins, why don't you do a 2 color Courthouse Steps, with boldly contrasting colors. Same kind of cutting and stitching, but I think a much more interesting outcome. Just a thought. Try a practice block with that.
    Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gayle bong
    I agree with everyone else. Technically you can do anything you want, but my first thought is why do all that piecing when in the end it would be almost the same as just making large half-square triangles.
    This is true they are very pretty when the colors are done in different shades. I'm afraid it would look like 1/2 sq. triangles. with a lot of cutting and sewing to get there.good luck. Mary
    Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 PM

I personally think it would be a boring quilt, too.....and here's another thought. Why cut all those strips and then sew them back together.....by doing only 2 colors each color would blend in and you wouldn't see the seams. As others say, try doing a block or two and see if you like it. I'm for 2 colors but with different patterns, etc. in each color.