Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can this marriage be saved? >
  • Can this marriage be saved?

• Can this marriage be saved?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    It's a cute quilt. In my opinion, you can't press curves like this into submission. When you complete the quilt and wash it, it will go awry again. Ask me how I know...

Seam rip out every other column of the quilt and sew it back on from the opposite end of the column. That should reduce the curving significantly.

Personally, I would probably hate all that 'undo' and 're-do', but have found that fixing a mistake like this firmly embeds a loathing for that mistake in my psyche, so I am very careful NOT to make the mistake again.
    I was thinking maybe every 4th strip would relieve if not correct the problem.
    Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM

I am going to use the term "smashing" also - as for the quilt - I would try the hot iron and best press first - if it won't comply - go for the "smashing"
    Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady
    And I thought I was learning a new quilting term! LOL My brain kept saying, "smashing, smashing,I wonder what that means". hahahaha
    I think it will be smashing in my mind from here on out!
    Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by LoisM
    Couldn't you just use a piece of PVC with terry cloth draped over it?
    That might work and it might be a real pain. The strip stick has just the right curve to iron strip sets on though.
    Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM

I agree with Dina it is a beautiful top. I do believe that if you pressed it with Best Press or my favorite Bounce Spray starch it would lie flatter you may even try ironing the seams open. I love the design and it is good work, don't be sew hard on yourself that it takes the fun out of it. As I used to always tell my quilter awe it will all come out in the quilting. Of course now I am a LAQ and some doesn't always come out in the quilting but I bet you this one will it is alot prettier then some of the wonky designs I have seen. Take a step back breathe and know it is a quilt made with love.
    Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM

Unless it is a gift for someone, I would not worry too much about being perfect. After all how often is a quilt laid out with no wrinkles in it, if it is being used. I am not refering to a quilt that is on a bed that is not slept in. Like I told my daughter when she was little and I made her dresses, if I was not happy with the hem I told her to "just keep moving" no one will notice. Just do not lay the quilt out flat if you can not work out the problem and it will bug you. Or donate it, the receiver will be thrilled for the gift of warmth and beauty.
    Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Have you tried stretching it on the bias like you would to square up a full cut of material. We learned that in a home ec class years ago after it has been torn on the straight of material.
    Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM

your colors are so pretty!
    I would measure the width of the strips and restitch a few of them...the picture is hard to see which strips are the problem..pressing and spray starching using a straight guide line works sometimes too.. press sticks look like they would be great for keeping pressing from distortion...I always have a challenge with exact seams..BUT all of the suggestions are good! I know sometimes I feel like smashing them hope you find a good solution!
    Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
    I have a really off the wall idea. How about cutting the top into big blocks, adding smashing around all 4 sides and seeing back together? I think black smashing would make it pop and the curves, if noticeable, wouldn't be so bad.

The first thing I thought was cut it apart, press out the smaller sections and sew back together.
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM

I agree with Dina, finish it off, and if anyone asks, tell them it was the most worrisome quilt you ever made! It is so beautiful.

Alice