Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can someone explain to me why >
  • Can someone explain to me why

• Can someone explain to me why

Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM

This world is crazy. Everybody's sue-happy. It's sad.
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM

I was at Sew Chic, a very complete quilt shop in Fairmont, West Virginia today and they had gorgeous, sophisticated cotton flannels. The colors and patterns were so attractive they could be made up into daywear as well as quilts/nightwear. They appeared to be high quality goods--and as pleasurable to stroke as a baby bunny. :thumbup:
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Reminds of me of Bill Engles and song heres your sign
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Reminds of me of Bill Engles and song heres your sign
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Originally Posted by MrsGuava
    We live in a society that has to be told not to put a plastic bag over its head.
    I beg to differ. We live in a society where the GOVERNMENT feels we have to be told not to put a plastic bag over our head.
    No, we live in a society where the PEOPLE love to sue if they drink coffee that really hot, or trip on a crack in the sidewalk because they aren't looking, or think someone is keeping them out of a group because they are Black, or Catholic, or a first generation immigrant, or........ Some kid died in a plastic bag so now they have warnings..... The government didn't sue, the stupid parents that weren't careful did, and some jury gave it to them.
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM

i say get rid of all the warning lables and go back to survival of the fittist. the gene pool could use a little clorox. if people would just use some common sense and more importantly take responsibility for their actions, but well........ they don't.
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 PM

I think that if your kid is close enough to fire for it to make a difference, you already have much bigger problems. I think no one wants to hold responsibility. In any case, the hair, hands and face are not covered. Treated fabrics doesn't offer much protection and is not permanent. Anything added to fabric eventually washes away, just like the stain resistance. I say go on and make cute pjs.
    Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
    K3N has the perfect answer, who puts their child near an open flame? Carol J. posed a perfect point, how in the world did I live to be 70 years old and drink out of the garden hose, eat hamburgers cooked over charcoal, raise a beautiful young man without endangering him one wit. We live in a most litigious society and the manufacturers are just CYA as fast as they can. I have used flannel all my life and no one has ever been injured and I will continue to use it as long as my fingers will work.

Common sense seems in short supply today or am I just getting old and cranky?
    Iam with you on this one all the way. When I was 11 I leaned across a coil burner on our stove, the cotton top I was wearing brushed the coils and caught fire, before I even knew that I was on fire my mom had grabbed a tea towel and put it out, but it taught me a valuable lesson, it doesn't have to be open flame, just hot enough to combust. Synthetics on the other hand just melt and don't burn, this is great in home furnishings, etc
    as it give the people time to escape the fire, I just don't get it on clothing tho.
    Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 AM

I asked my daughter this very question a few days ago.

Originally Posted by auniqueview
    do so many stores carry really cute flannel prints just perfect for babies and children, but when you look at the fabric, it carries the warning "not suitable for pjs, robes, blankets...you name it, for babies and children under 12.

How many children over 12 want all these things with little bunnies and turtles and frogs peeking out from behind flowers? Or puppies scampering? I am talking baby patterns?

IS there some logic to this I am missing? If they are going to print these cute things on flannel, why not make it usable for babies and young kids?
    :? :? :? :? :?
    Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Good thing I wasn't on the jury either!