Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can someone Help me with fathoming out..... >
  • Can someone Help me with fathoming out.....

• Can someone Help me with fathoming out.....

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

I love it beautiful. I also thought Fg at first, but not sure!

Ninnie
    Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Waiting to find out what they tell you! Why didn't they include that info originally! :?
    Old 05-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Waiting to find out what they tell you! Why didn't they include that info originally! :?
    Heck I donīt know how they work, it just makes sense to me to give as much info as possible to increase sales. Think I am in the wrong job LOL
    Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by omak
    I always figure a top or backing at about five yards (maybe more, maybe less) - - if I need more, a border isn't a problem to match up.

So, if we are at fat quarters, that would be two and a half yards of light and 2.5 yards of dark ... = five yards, correct?
    Lucky you! You figured it out!

The quilt measurements you sited are 68"x78" = 5'8"x 6'6" which equals
    4.42 square feet ... hmmm ... I may be doing the math incorrectly ...
    let's try this: 5304 square inches ... in 20 fat quarters, you have 7920 square inches ... that should do it!

You were right fat quarters.
    did I do that all correctly?
    Well you just blew my mind with all that maths. I am fairly new to quilting and have mainly done applique so havenīt needed to be maths proficient (unfortunatley I am not) I believe you Omak. I am going on the fat quarter calculation, and that works out.

THANK YOU so much Elle :D
    Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

Judy Niemeyer makes some beautiful patterns. I have two that I haven't had time (or the right fabrics) to try yet. Both of the patterns I have clearly say on the back how much yardage to get. (It's on the last page of instructions, visible within the plastic wrapper.)

If you look at her site you will find that there are quite a few corrections for the pattern you have selected. Be sure to check them out:
    http://www.quiltworx.com/demo/pdfs/6_correction.pdf

In one of the corrections, she tells you to cut 42" strips, so these definitely aren't FQs. I think they are full yard pieces, though that seems like a lot of fabric, even for paper piecing. However I just added up the fabric requirements for another quilt (Glacier Pines) and it comes up to almost 20 yards, not counting backing. Ouch, that will be expensive! No wonder I haven't started mine yet. (But they do make gorgeous quilts, and her method of paper piecing is really good.)

Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the tips Dunster, will be sure to check it out.

By chance is one of the quilt patterns you have the Flower one, Bird of Paradise"? That is a beauty.

I also liked the Rain Drops pattern. Hancocks sure have a lot of patterns.

Going to check quiltworks now.

Elle
    Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Judy Niemeyer makes some beautiful patterns. I have two that I haven't had time (or the right fabrics) to try yet. Both of the patterns I have clearly say on the back how much yardage to get. (It's on the last page of instructions, visible within the plastic wrapper.)

If you look at her site you will find that there are quite a few corrections for the pattern you have selected. Be sure to check them out:
    http://www.quiltworx.com/demo/pdfs/6_correction.pdf

In one of the corrections, she tells you to cut 42" strips, so these definitely aren't FQs. I think they are full yard pieces, though that seems like a lot of fabric, even for paper piecing. However I just added up the fabric requirements for another quilt (Glacier Pines) and it comes up to almost 20 yards, not counting backing. Ouch, that will be expensive! No wonder I haven't started mine yet. (But they do make gorgeous quilts, and her method of paper piecing is really good.)
    Dunster, Just printed out the corrections. Many thanks again would not have thought of that either.

Elle
    Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

The patterns I have are Cactus Rose and Glacier Pines. Both require some applique in addition to the foundation paper piecing, which is one reason I didn't start them right away. (I hadn't attempted any applique when I bought the patterns, on sale.) I saw Prairie Star made up at one of the local quilt stores, and wow! I want to make that one too.

You might get a quicker response to your question about yardage requirements from Judy Niemeyer's site, http://quiltworx.com/.
    I imagine Hancock's will have to ask her anyway.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 PM

I've bought several patterns online and there are never the fabric requirements stated. I think that protects the writer from someone just seeing the picture of the pattern and the requirements without purchasing the pattern.
    Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
    However I just added up the fabric requirements for another quilt (Glacier Pines) and it comes up to almost 20 yards, not counting backing. Ouch, that will be expensive! No wonder I haven't started mine yet. (But they do make gorgeous quilts, and her method of paper piecing is really good.)
    20 yrds. for 1 quilt?????? That is crazy!! :shock: :shock: Heck, I'd have to refinance the house for that! Is there a lot of waste?? I'm going to have to google that pattern to see that...I'm sure it is gorgeous! Oooohhh..I just checked...it IS gorgeous!!