Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can someone tell me >
  • Can someone tell me

• Can someone tell me

Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
    These are not the cones. I have a cone holder but these are the Connecting Thread Essentials. They are 2 1/2 inches tall with a larger hole than regular spools.
    That is ok. Because the 2 1/2" spools are also cross wound the same way the cones are you can use them on the upright spool holders made for the cones. If the Essential spools are coming off your spool holder use the cone holder you have with them. I have used these size spools on my cone holder with no problem.
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    For large spools that don't fit on my machine I grab a coffee cup, set it BEHIND my sewing machine inline with the spool pin. I put the spool in the cup and pull the end up, and to the RIGHT side of the spool pin I then put it around the front of the spool pin, and then go on to thread the machine like normal. I have NEVER had any trouble doing it this way and I pretty much do ALL my piecing this way!

I would take a picture but my camera battery died at the baseball game last night and I am to lazy to charge it right this moment! lol
    I just can't believe this board. I literally learn something every day i am on here. I have several large spools that i haven't used because i can't figure out how to do it. The coffee cup idea is perfect! I can't wait to try it. I'm off today-rare- I should be cleaning house-but i think i'll go in town to my office to sew! thanks!
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 AM

I didn't realize that the thread you were using was not cone thread. There is a wooden spool base that you can purchase that fits inside the larger spools to make the hole the right size for your machine. I have even used the wooden pins left after you finish a larger spool for the same purpose. Like my other stuff there is no manufacturers info on it.
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I didn't realize that the thread you were using was not cone thread. There is a wooden spool base that you can purchase that fits inside the larger spools to make the hole the right size for your machine. I have even used the wooden pins left after you finish a larger spool for the same purpose. Like my other stuff there is no manufacturers info on it.
    I am sorry, I guess I wasn't explaining very well. Thanks all. Now is can use my pretty thread.
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 AM

They work great on the thread stands that sre pictured above. I ordered mine from Nancys Notions. It is a metal one and I use them with all my thread.
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks for asking this question Joy,I learned from the answers you recieved
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

great tips!
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 AM
    Power Poster

I mostly use a dinky Brother mechanical, and, I take a drinking straw and put it over the vertical thread holder on the top of the machine for these types of spools. They sort of bounce around if I am at top speed, but for piecing, not normally that fast, and all I have to do is every now and then make sure it is all still in place. I haven't had any major mishaps with this system.
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I mostly use a dinky Brother mechanical, and, I take a drinking straw and put it over the vertical thread holder on the top of the machine for these types of spools. They sort of bounce around if I am at top speed, but for piecing, not normally that fast, and all I have to do is every now and then make sure it is all still in place. I haven't had any major mishaps with this system.
    On some of the thread pins you can take the ink filler out of a BIC Stick pin and it will fit over the thread pin. That also works great for the Essential thread. :thumbup:
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM

The upright delivery system will be better than it spinning on a spindle.

spools like those essential threads from connecting threads are meant to be unwound off the end, like a cone. What I find is that a twisty kink develops as the spool spins. This and gutteman & mettler are the 3 threads I use, and cones for serging.