Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can someone tell me >
  • Can someone tell me

• Can someone tell me

Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
    Or if you're handy, you can make your own. I've heard of people using paper towel holders: Place your spool on the small vertical piece and screw an eyelet screw into the tall piece (where the paper towel normally goes) for the thread guide. If you don't have an eyelet screw, try taping a paperclip on it to use for the thread guide.
    The paper towel holders was what I was thinking of also.
    Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 AM

Depending on the size of your spindle, place a plastic soda straw on it. the height will be determined by the height of the spool, but you can cut the straw down to size. Worked for me. I now have a machine where the spindle is too thick for a straw, so I simply placed the spool in a soup bowl and placed it back of the machine. Makes a lot of noise as it moves around in the bowl, but it's not that bad.
    Old 05-18-2011, 03:28 AM

Go to your LQS there is one with a heavy base sits behind your machine does a great job (if they don't stock it ask them to order it from Checker around $10.00) if it's not a heavy metal one it will be falling over all the time.
    Hope this is helpfull.
    Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 AM

You can also cut a drinking straw in half and slip it down over the regular thread holder...........works great.
    Katrina
    Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
    i found this on ebay to give you and idea of how easy these are to make.
    Hey thanks a million ,now that gives me an ideal
    Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 AM

I use a paper towel holder which sets either on a table near the machine or on the floor in back of the machine.
    Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 AM

Buy/make a spool stand and place your thread on it so that it stands next to or above the machine. Most machines have thread guides to assist you to do this and you can always get a telescopic head on your spool holder.All the best. (Some people stand them in a mug next to the machine).
    Old 05-18-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Are they the larger ones that stand up? If the thread comes off the top, I have used an Ornament stand (about 9 inches tall with an overhanging hook) and run the thread through the top. The spool sits right in the center of the stand loop.
    This is what I'd get if I were you. I'm getting one so I can use the larger spools.
    Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 AM

[quote=Joy HigdonThese are not the cones. I have a cone holder but these are the Connecting Thread Essentials. They are 2 1/2 inches tall with a larger hole than regular spools.[/quote]

my friend take the empty plastic small spools and fits them inside the larger hole of the spool with thread on it.
    i took and posted pictures of it a long time ago..but it was a reply to a thread here, so i don't think i can find it..

"deeley bobs" ? were made for this purpose, but never used them, and not sure if they work good enough to warrant the cost.
    but what my friend rigged up, is the same idea.

http://www.deelybob.com/product.sc?productId=2

deelybob
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]198562[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-198556.jpe  
    Old 05-18-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
    You can buy spool holders at Joann's. These are cheap plastic things. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd12768

Or if you're handy, you can make your own. I've heard of people using paper towel holders: Place your spool on the small vertical piece and screw an eyelet screw into the tall piece (where the paper towel normally goes) for the thread guide. If you don't have an eyelet screw, try taping a paperclip on it to use for the thread guide.

You can also run to your favorite craft store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's) and pick up some dowel rods and something for a wooden base and make your own.
    Don't bother buying a plastic one - they aren't heavy enough and don't work. The thread guide would bend over with the tension created by the thread moving thru it. You need either a solid wood base or a heavy metal base for the spool to sit on and a good sized wire or metal rod thread guide to guide the thread up over the spool and over to your machine's thread guides. I ordered one from Clotilde for around $9.00.