Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please?? >
  • Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

• Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Courage is being afraid and doing it anyway! Gather up your courage, tell that fear that you are in charge! Make up a quilt sandwich and go for it.
    Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Since there are not lots of classes in my area for quilting, I have become a student of the "YouTube University"!! You can find just about anything you want to learn about quilting, making blocks, strips, squaring up, etc., there. You may have to watch different ones as some are better than others. There are tons of quilting tutorials and different websites that can help you learn. I'm sure you could find the 1600 inch quilt tutorials. I like Connecting Threads tutorial about paper-piecing. It was the easiest for me to learn and understand! Just go surfing the web if you can.
    Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I've been around here for a while, so I'm ashamed to admit that I've only made two tops and have yet to actually complete a quilt! I'm afraid to! I really want to get this one finished though. It's a version of a 1600 quilt, so nothing too complicated. Would you mind just making sure I have all the steps down? I'd sure appreciate it!

Ok, I have the top sewn but not the border, so -

1 - square it up, measure and cut border, sew on

2 - do I now lay down the backing, batting and top? Pin together? Then do I trim the batting and backing just a bit larger than the top?

3 - now I quilt it? I'm open for suggestions here... Should I stitch-in-the-ditch? I think I have a walking foot - an attachment with a big white plastic box on it... Never tried using it yet... I'm not even sure how it works (do you understand now why I'm afraid?! Lol!)

4 - after quilting, prepare and attach the binding?

Am I close? I have read tons here, I have MANY books, but I think I'm a visual learner - not much has stuck. Anyway, any reassurance, tips, suggestions you have will be gratefully welcomed!

If it's a 1600 jelly roll race style of quilt it needs the sides squared up before you put borders on. But once you layer and baste don't trim. After you have it quilted then you trim and put the binding on.
    Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM

I worried and had anxiety with the first quilt I quilted. (I've only officially quilted 3 now). But, you know what? You can always take it apart and redo if you make an absolutely horrible mistake. Start with one small section, look at it and decide if you like it, then move on.
    Be sure to post a picture when you are done. The people on this board are the best encouragers I have ever know (also enablers too)!
    Have fun.
    Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Visit your local quilt shop - they will have lots of suggestions for you!
    Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 AM

why not just watch some tutes and see what you can learn from them on utube, also someone that is easy to follow and learn from is Jenny of the Missouri Quilt Company.....
    Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM

(but it's March and our snow is melting - gotta hurry this up! Lol! )
    Not to worry - the snow will be back next year! My worst mistakes with quilts have happened when I was in a hurry.
    Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 AM

There are a lot of really good step by step quilting how to books out there. You might check you library & see if they have one. Read it & follow it. Everyone has a little bit different method but, basically most are about the same. Make you a practice piece to start on before you attempt your actual quilt. I was in your shoes not to long ago. I finally took a deep breath & dove in. The first couple of attempts weren't the greatest, BUT, everyone since gets a little better. It's true what they say, practice, practice, practice. You go girl, you can do it!!!
    Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Yes! Definitely
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    put together a couple small (pot holder/placemat size) quilt sandwiches to practice using your walking foot- get the hang of quilting- don't just start on a quilt you want to finish- it does take some practice & that way you can make sure your tension is right & you like your thread choice. if a class is not locally available there are plenty of tutorials & on line demonstrations you can watch. check here for tutorials - also look through the 'links' for u-tube videos.
    Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Sounds right to me. May I suggest before you start quilting on the quilt you practice on another piece of fabric, prepared the same way with batting and backing fabric. This is especially a good idea since you haven't used your walking foot before. I always do it when I'm free motion quilting to get a rhythm going or when I'm using an unfamiliar thread.