Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can you identify this block? >
  • Can you identify this block?

• Can you identify this block?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM

I would try soaking it in a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda and cold water.
    Old 03-18-2010, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

I forgot to mention that the washing machine is never allowed to agitate. All you use it for is to soak and to spin. All agitation is done by hand, pushing down on the quilt from above. (Obviously won't work in a front loader!)

If you don't want to tumble dry the quilt, it needs to be laid out flat on a clean sheet. Outside on the grass is fine *but* it must be in the shade (light, including sunlight, fades fabric) and it must be covered with another sheet (to prevent damage from bird droppings). You never want to hang a wet quilt over clotheslines; with the weight of the water in the quilt, this puts enormous stress on the seams and fabric.

For a nice antique quilt like this, I would dry only until lightly damp and then block on a flat surface.
    Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    The block is called Whirling Diamonds and is from the Kansas City Star (circa 1937).

Personally, I would not get a quilt top that age anywhere near a washing machine, let alone a commercial dryer! Soak in a bathtub (with a sheet underneath so you don't have to pull on the quilt when wet) in three parts warm water and one part white vinegar. Rinse well, squeeze out as much water as possible (do not wring) before lifting out of the tub. Dry flat with a fan blowing over it, not onto it. It's worked for me several times on antique quilts.
    ah yes, I was going to say the bathtub too. And yes the vinigar should take out the stains.
    Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
    oops....

Also, does anyone know how to get out the yellow staining on the quilt?
    As someone else already mentioned, no washing machine or dryer. Your LQS should have an antique soak that soaks out yellow stains. Orvus soap also works, also LQS. Do it in the tub with a sheet under so you can pull it out without pulling on the quilt itself. Those stitches are fragile and weakened with time.
    The yellow stains got there from being in contact with wood, likely a cedar chest. The wood fibers and cotton fibers will interact; adversely for the quilt. When you store your quilts, put them in a pillowcase and store on a shelf, or in a plastic tub. The best way to store quilts, is on a bed, but when you're outta beds, you're outta storage! Plastic tubs work good because even tho they have a lid on them, they aren't air-tight and the quilt can still breathe. Hope this helps.
    btw, it's a great quilt!!
    Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

ve been having all of her quilts appraised a few at a time to get age, etc. My aunt never left any information on her quilts, so the only ones I know about are the ones she gave me. The many others I have no idea!!! And since she was a total scrap quilter, it sometimes confuses the appraiser!

The quilt will appraise at the quilts newest fabric. She may have scraps from 1899 in it, but if there are any that are 1935, then that is it's age.

YTQ
    Old 03-18-2010, 04:36 PM

I suspect the quilt will also appraise at the date finished, which is now 2010 and not the date your aunt completed the top. Something to keep in mind when deciding whether to finish off tops made long ago.
    Old 03-18-2010, 05:09 PM
    Gal

What a beautiful quilt, how lucky are you? Wonderful that you are giving this piece of your Aunt a new life!

Enviously Yours
    Gal
    Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Try lemon juice and iodine free salt, let it dry and soak. Don't twist, dry flat.