Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can you identify these two quilt blocks? >
  • Can you identify these two quilt blocks?

• Can you identify these two quilt blocks?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    #2 is "Capital T" from Household Magazine - Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia ofQuilt Patterns #1662c

I haven't found the first one yet.
    According to Maggie Malone's book, the Capital T block from Household Magazine has an open square in the center (would be tan in the block shown). The one with a center where all four T's meet (would be blue in the block shown) is known as the Double T (Nancy Page) and Four T Square (Nancy Cabot).
    Old 03-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Again according to Maggie Malone's book, the top one is known as Tenallytown Square (Nancy Cabot) and Washington Pavement.

There is a similar, slightly different, block with seaming differences in the way the long cross pieces flow in the two lower X's (they match the top X's in this one), that is called the Red Cross Quilt (Kansas City Star) and Washington Sidewalk.
    Old 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM

first one might be the X block
    Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

darn, I just got all excited thinking I found the top one for you, the "signature block"... but its not right...
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-172154.jpe  
    Old 03-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Barbara Brackman has the first set listed as "Red Cross" and the second set as "Four T's", "The T Block" and "The T Quilt."
    Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Barbara Brackman has the first set listed as "Red Cross" and the second set as "Four T's", "The T Block" and "The T Quilt."
    Look at the piecing in the bottom two X's in Brachman's book. Do they match the ones directly above them or the ones diagonally above them? If directly above, it's Red Cross, if not (like the photo above), it's not.
    Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Look at the piecing in the bottom two X's in Brachman's book. Do they match the ones directly above them or the ones diagonally above them? If directly above, it's Red Cross, if not (like the photo above), it's not.
    On my version of Block Base it shows the blocks that are diagonal from each other with the seams going the same direction. I haven't looked in the book yet but I consider the color placement and overall design more important to naming a block than which direction the seams run. They only show one block in the book and it isn't even a picture of a "real" block--only a solidly colored mock up.
    Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    On my version of Block Base it shows the blocks that are diagonal from each other with the seams going the same direction. I haven't looked in the book yet but I consider the color placement and overall design more important to naming a block than which direction the seams run. They only show one block in the book and it isn't even a picture of a "real" block--only a solidly colored mock up.
    I don't have that book, so I'll have to trust others on it.

It sounds like maybe we don't know for sure on that first block?

Thanks for your work on this!
    Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Personally, I'd go with Washington Pavement. As I said earlier, that's what it is in Maggie Malone's book and here is a link to the MSU Quilt Index with a sample quilt of that pattern. Both are recognized authorities.
    http://www.quiltindex.org/basicdispl...kid=1E-3D-1AA9
    Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM

I think any of the names for the first block will suffice. Look at how many different patterns are called Bethlehem Star! They didn't have the internet back then so no easy way to check & see if your name was all ready taken causing many duplicate, triplicate, "x"licated names. Here are the 3 from Block Base (The digital version of the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns) so you can decide or make up your own name.

Red Cross
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]173016[/ATTACH]

Washington Pavement
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]173017[/ATTACH]

Washington Sidewalk
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]173021[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-173010.jpe   attachment-173011.jpe   attachment-173015.jpe