Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can you visualize or do you mimic? >
  • Can you visualize or do you mimic?

• Can you visualize or do you mimic?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM

I never intend to copy a pattern EXACTLY. I use every picture and pattern only as a guide and then I adapt it and tweek it and make it my own. I thought everyone did this. I'm not sure I could follow a pattern from start to finish and make it exactly like the original. My mind just doesn't work that way. I like the idea of individuality and uniqueness in every quilt I make.
    Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM

I do all of the above. But I never use the same fabrics on a pattern, I see a pattern and usally change it to my liking. What I love about quilting is that we all could make the same quilt and because we all pick differnt colors they will all look differnt. But I have made many quilts of my own design and really enjoy doing that. Just knowing that no one else has one like it makes you feel good.
    Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM

I usually start with a pattern, but by the time I am finished, it is anything but what I started with.
    Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM
    Dee

I don't like to follow a pattern, because I like to do it myself. I feel like I really created magic in fabric. The quilt is my creation.
    Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 PM
    Banned

I can see something, and figure it out and how I want it. God bless. Penny
    Old 08-07-2010, 03:57 AM

I seem to be in capable of following any kind of patter exactly as it is and I do mean whether it's sewing, quilting or cake decorating. I truly have to do my own thing. I'll look at a pattern for an idea but whatever happens happens and it usually works out well. I prefer to use quilt templates at this point in time but I'm getting better at rotary cutting but if a pattern calls for it, the ONLY time I do them is if it's a quilt chapter project that we all are doing as a class and that is THE ABSOLUTE only time my quilts will come out looking anything at all like anyone elses. My projects, whatever they are, a purely and simply a "happening" and in many ways are out of my control. I know you won't comprehend that but it's true. No matter what plan or idea I come up with you can bet it'll changed several times in the process but it's rare for me not to be pleased with the end results. My favorite quilts are samplers though and with them, anything goes and will normally work.
    Patty

Originally Posted by seamstome
    I mimic mostly. I see a quilt sample or picture on a pattern and that's how I make it. At least the first time, then maybe I can adapt it.

Rarely can I look at something that is done in pastels and convert it to earthtones or envision a border from one quilt on another.

I see all these pretty quilts on here done in unique ways and I really admire people who can start something from scratch.