Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops >
  • Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

• Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM

I'm just learning to hand quilt and free motion machine quilt (I'm on my second quilt for hand quilting, the first on is my avatar pic) and would LOVE to take your class but since I'm in Colorado I think it would be a little difficult. hehe
    I have a hard time with machine quilting getting the tension right and everything and my hand quilting is not perfect either but I find hand quilting a lot more relaxing.
    Good luck
    Old 03-10-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm so sorry, Andrea. I don't know of any hand quilting classes in my area. It really seems to be a dying art (most quilters seem to gravitate towards machine quilting), and it's such a shame. I've recently gotten back into it (as you know) because of the history of quilting. It is such a rich part of our heritage. When you hand quilt, it's like part of you is threaded through the fabric. Maybe another door will open for you to share your gift.
    Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM

You do such beautiful handwork, I'm sorry that your classes are not scheduling well. I would check with LQS owners to see what might regenerate the interest
    Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Un-stinking-believable!!!! You are so talented, your quilts are to die for.....As a di-hard hand quilter, they just don't know what they are missing.
    Ellen
    Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM

You should have no trouble selling your quilts. Your wholecloth quilts are so beautiful and so well done. Have you tried selling online? Some people do very well selling online, like Etsy and Ebay.
    Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM

I would jump at the chance to take one of your quilting classes since I have seen such beautiful examples of your work. I have always loved whole cloth quilts.
    Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM

I love handquilting, but I'm sure I still have a lot to learn. I'd love such a class! I'd also love a class in drafting and marking motifs for hand quilting. Here, there seems to be such a focus on machine embroidery and novelty techniques such as quilts made on the serger. Even though I've been making quilts for 20 years, I'd still take classes in basic quiltmaking as a refresher and to learn helpful tips, techniques, and tools to use. Btw, hand piecing, appliqué, and quilting are portable in ways that machine sewing will never be.
    Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Thank you for your nice comments! I am completely specialized on hand quilting and I do wholeclohts, so a lesson in appliqué is not what I can (or want to) do. The students in my workshops practice the technique on a small quilt which can also be used as a pillow cover - and I show my own quilts at the end of the day, so they I think they can't feel overstrained!
    I would really love to do something like a trunk show or a lecture. People who are only interested in looking at hand quilted wholecloths could come and hear something about the quilt history, about the patterns etc. - and they don't have to do it by themselves. I have never heard that somebody does trunk shows here in Germany, so I don't know how people will react. Maybe I should think about it.
    I do a lot of trunk show/lectures to guilds here. I take in a lot of quilts and lecture about techniques, hints and how to do what I do. I have handouts and make very good money. Do you have quilt guilds there? Do they hire speakers?
    Good luck!
    Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM

so sorry-- I would have thought that there would be a lot of interest
    Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM

The LQS at which I learned to quilt has several instructors who still teach hand techniques, both quilting and applique'... I feel it is important for each of us to try to do our part in maintaining this wonderful art... not all of us will do handwork, of course, but we all should try to encourage our LQS to give it a high priority if they already don't.... Please don't give up, Andrea! Your work is amazing, and you continue to inspire me... I'm certain there are others, too!!!