Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops >
  • Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

• Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM

I am a bit surpised that this has happened in Germany. I always think of Germany as being the one place that craftmanship still exists.
    Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Really wish there was a workshop like that available around where I live. I honestly didn't think I would ever want to learn to hand quilt, but hearing people say how relaxing it is makes me want to try it myself. I have looked at quilts that were hand quilted and they are very impressive. Good luck to you!!
    Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Sounds good to me entering more quilt shows that is ,and sorry about your classes.
    Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM

I'm another who wish you were here in the states. I would love to be able to take a class from a really good hand quilter. From experience, I know videos, magazines, etc. just aren't the same.
    Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    This weekend I received a message of one of the shop owners who organizes one of my workshops. She has to cancel it because there were no interest at all in attending. This is the second planned workshop for this year that must be cancelled due to that. ... :D
    Would you...or could you...offer a class online? If you could teach an online class, I would certainly take it. I have been quilting, and teaching hand quilting, for a number of years, but would love to take instruction from someone with your expertise. I know putting something like that together is a monumental task, but it might be worth it. What about Quilt
    University?
    Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM

I totally agree that handquilting and qpplique are very relaxing and the results are magnificent. Unfortunately in this instant world we live in now hand quilting isn't fast enough. I feel for your loss of class interest. Perhaps checking out some neighboring areas might produce so interest in your classes.
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM

I still enjoy hand quilting.
    But I too feel it is becoming a dying art at this time.
    What a shame it is so relaxing too.
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM

What about a class for kids, sometimes the kids like it more. If done when kids are off school (out early for meetings, 3 day weekend, etc.). Have a class (parents looking for something for the kids to do, with out being in mom's hair), 2 to 3 hours long with a break part way. You might find a group. Good Luck
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 PM

After spending the evening hand quilting I feel saddened to hear this. In fact, I am hand quilting for the first time on my second ever quilt top...it's a queen size. I keep wondering when I'll ever finish it and it and wonder if I'm doing it right... and then I see one of your posts and your work encourages me! Mine doesn't look like yours by any means but it's getting better as I progress on this quilt. I look at your work as something to strive for. I sure hope you can find a way to show your work to others...it's so inspiring as well as a beautiful art.
    Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM

For me, it is a Catch - 22 situation. I really believe that it is the expense of the lessons on top of the cost of materials that put people off.If there are also extra hidden expenses once they get there, it is also off - putting. Of course, the teacher can't be working for nothing and so it would have to be something extra special that you can't learn or pick - up somewhere else, that would attract people.That is a tall order, and is often undermined by people asking previous students to show them the technique (for free). This is why I won't pass on the knowledge as it undermines the art of quilting and is unfair to the innovators.
    When I was teaching in a LQS, there was a lady who always turned up half - way through the lesson and only wanted to pay half price but receive the pattern/advice and get as much attention as the others-hence my reasoning that it is mainly financial.
    My first (and only) lesson in needle turn technique was a waste of money as the teacher gave me the pattern and then sat down without instruction. She reluctantly answered questions that I asked and I was unaware that specialty thread,pins and needles were needed for applique.I turned up for a lesson that had been cancelled without them informing me and the LQS owner was cross that I told them I would not be back for the remaining lessons. However, I offer this story as some of the reasons why people lose interest.